Chapter 3, Part I

Chapter 3: Best-Laid Schemes, Part I (Daily Life)

----

We went back to the dorms afterwards. Me and Daigo were still shaken by what had just went off in front of our very eyes. We put our trust in her, and she proceeded to betray it by destroying what could have been the key to figuring out the Killing Game.

That girl who had been lying to our faces about not knowing her talent, casually dropping the fact that she was the Ultimate Con Artist seconds after we all fell for her wiles. I still remembered her name clearly.

Madoka. Now I knew that for long as she was still alive, she would definitely be a thorn in our side.

I drifted off to slumber feeling bitter, and resentful, and outraged.

----

*DING DONG BING BONG*

That sound. That damned sound.

Monokuma: Wakey-wakey, sleepyheads! Get up and look on the bright side - you've managed to survive not just one, but two Class Trials! Wow, if I had a nickel for every time you caught the blackened, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right? Anyway, without further to do, another floor's been opened up...

Once again, I ignored the rest of his message as I got ready for the day, brushing my teeth, washing my face, and putting on my clothes after taking off my sleeping wear. After I went out of my dorm room, I realised that I needed to check on whether he was alright after what happened yesterday.

Masao had acted with what he thought was honour - but he had been condemned for inadvertently obstructing a murder. Could he have done something in the middle of the night, without any of us knowing, as an act of penance? Thus I pounded upon his door, waiting a good few anxious seconds before he finally, slowly opened it. He looked at me straight in the eye:

Masao: Do not disturb my meditation, Hotaru-san.

And then he slammed the door shut on me, and I walked away to the mess hall shortly afterwards. Everyone else (with the exception of Madoka, no longer a team player) had already gathered there, and they were chatting and eating.

Yukiharu: Can't you believe it? We've been around a week in here and already 4 of us are dead.

Ayane: Clearly, something's extremely wrong with how we are trying to lead the group. We need to establish some sense of camaraderie-

Yukiharu: But what about the problem kids? Like Madoka for instance? They'll be the ones who'll be listening to his motives and acting upon them!

Kozue: Just forget about the bear, and focus on making friends with each other! You'll trust a friend to not stab you in the back, right?

Yukiharu: Like that's gonna happen. After Ren and Yura, got a little bit pessimistic.

Daigo: Don't! If we band together, then we've got a shot!

Yukiharu: You know what? You're right. Anybody agree with him?

Souta: Mmm-hmm.

Luka: Of course! Of course!

Ayane: Perhaps...?

Yukiharu: Good.

Kozue: By the way, has anyone seen Masao since yesterday?

Kaori: I have just now. He's locked himself up in his room and he clearly appears to be in a bit of a rut. Shut the door on me.

Umiko: Wh-what's wrong with him?