Chapter 1, Part IV

Chapter 1: Down the Rabbit Hole, Part IV (Deadly Life)

----

*DING DONG BING BONG*

Monokuma: A body has been discovered! After a certain amount of time, which you may use however you like, the Class Trial will begin!

I wasn't expecting it to end like this. Even after Monokuma told us that we were supposed to kill each other, that the one who was controlling him was in our midst, that the box would contain information bound to drive somebody to murder, everyone tried to make friends with, to spend time with, to trust each other.

And somebody had betrayed that trust by killing one of our own.

After he had gave the announcement, Monokuma suddenly appeared in front of us, as if to mock what had just happened.

Monokuma: So there you have it. The undeniable reality that this Mutual Killing Game is real.

Souta: Ah... This is no fun at all.

Yura: (gulp) I don't really have anything to say. Airsoft hurts a lot, but it doesn't normally kill you.

Madoka: Obviously. But this isn't a game, Yura.

Hirou: Mugen's almost certainly dead.

Madoka: By almost certainly, you mean certainly? A body discovery announcement went off.

Umiko: ...Please... Please let us go now...

Monokuma: Nope! What do you think I'm gonna do, let everyone leave and go on some stupid road trip across the globe? Screw that! It's far more fun to investigate a dead body! Look, there's one over there!

Kaori: His name was Mugen Kojima, sir.

Monokuma: Oh. Mugen Kojima. He drew the short straw, unfortunately. Because obviously there's no saving throw against getting murdered, you know!

Ayane: Is this some kind of twisted joke? Because if it is, I'm not laughing.

Kozue: ...Do you really believe that this is a time to be making jokes?

Monokuma: AHAHAHAHA! I sure do!

Yukiharu: What the hell?! Mugen's dead! I repeat, Mugen is dead!

Luka: (gasp)

Daigo: You're insane!

Monokuma: Sure I am! What's your point?

Daigo: Somebody we knew just got killed!

Monokuma: Somebody you only knew for around 4 days! Ah... nearly forgot the cruel irony of this. In Japan, our homeland, 4's associated with death. How fitting that the fourth day opened up with somebody dead!

Luka: ...Uh...

Monokuma: Geez... there's still quite a lot of you guys! Only 3 witnesses need to see a body for a body discovery announcement to be broadcast, and we've got a jam-packed hallway!

Yura: ...

Hirou: Don't aim that at him. He'll see it as...

Yura: Fine.

Monokuma: Nobody responding to me?

Daigo: ...

Umiko: ...

Kaori: ...

Monokuma: Good.

Kaiji: Where do we go from here?

Monokuma: Oh, forgot to mention, but... you'll also get a little Monokuma File when murders happen! Tell you all who died, where they died, when they died... y'know, a little headstart! But not too much information - don't want to give the game away!