Chapter 2

Kneeling, with bowed head, Erec answered: "You sent for me, my king."

"Oh yes." Erec remained still as he heard the rustling of fabric and the scrape of wood on stone and knew the king was taking his seat, "so I did."

Erec listened as the king asked for more meat and made a growl as he took a bite of his meat, smacking his lips loudly. Erec knew it was a show of just how unimportant his presence was to the king. After taking a loud slurping drink from his cups the king grew quiet.

Erec could feel the hatred in the king's gaze upon his own bowed head as he remained kneeling.

"What news have you of your campaigns?"

Erec remained on his knee, although he now lifted his head to look at the king as he spoke. It was a show of defiance on his part, but it could not be said that Erec was disrespectful of his king.

Erec was curious to know if the King was merely forgetful, or if there was some ulterior motive for asking a pointless question. Erec had already given a detailed report on his first meeting the morning of his arrival.

"Overall success, my king. Where we could not advance our holdings, we held the borders."

"So, I have lost nothing. And I have gained...what exactly?"

"We took Alomar and Blackboughs to the east, and left the remaining forces retreating to Garret's Keep on the coast. Winter was upon us, so we had to withdraw, but our enemy was left overpopulated and without proper provisions. As we stripped the corpses as we retreated, he also has a shortage of soldiers and armor."

Erec paused to gauge the reaction of the king, which was bored indifference. So Erec finished: "If we attack again at the first blush of spring, they will be weakened in body, as well as disheartened."

"And half-frozen no doubt. Good. Good. Let the harsh coastal winter siege them as we never could."

"Just so, my king."

"What else?"

"The kingdom to the far north has been collecting mercenaries and amassing an army. I believe he intends to march against Colter, to the north and west, as they have a long-standing blood-feud betwixt them, my king."

"It may be as you say, for they have battled back and forth betwixt themselves for the entirety of my existence. But that is not what you believe, not truly. Is it?"

"Aye, my king. It is what I believe. Truly. Or else I would not have spoken it." Reigning in his growing anger, he softened his tone and added, "my king."

"Come. Come. We are all men here. Is it not true that you fear they are amassing an army so that they can march...on us!"

"Nay, my liege. I tell you verily, they know that would be a foolish and fatal move on their part. Our own forces are far superior, but more than that. With our allies to the north east, we would easily intercept their forces long before they reached our borders."

"Ah!" the king stood, slamming both hands down on the table before him causing his goblet to spill over his bread. Ignoring the growing mess, the king leaned over and smiled. "Yes."

Erec felt a knife in his gut. The king was entirely too pleased with himself...this did not bode well.

"And that is precisely what we shall do. You shall take an army with you to our allies and entreat them to join our defenses. Then you shall LEAD the march on the far north FIRST. We need to send a message of strength."

"But sire!" Erec began, "Winter is all but upon us. My men have only just returned. We have been away from the first thaw of spring all through the autumn harvesting. The men will not be superior if you force them to march so far so quickly—and the horses need time to rest to be fresh for such a long march."