Chapter 34

"Thank you, Drew." She smiled and blinked away tears.

"It is I that should be thanking you. Had you not come Erec would have tried to ride. I do not need to tell you what that would have done for his wounds. And we would have gone onto Greenwood...without provisions." Drew sighed. "Instead, we are safe in these underground rooms and we have the comforts of your cottage and clean clothing to wear."

"And you will soon have a hermit for a neighbor." She smiled as she half turned.

"And a hermit for a neighbor before darkness falls this eve."

"Morning shall be soon enough. Darkness comes early in the wood and the hermit will want to be situated inside the wood, far enough that he is not a beacon to our back door, but close enough to justify the freshly cut wood and the paths we have worn. Perhaps the hermit should use some of the material from the ruins."

"The stone and timber we cleared from our back door, for instance?"

"Just so." Gwyn called as she reached the open back door and went inside.

Drew shook his head and frowned as he finished preparing the rabbit for the pot. He was careful to set the skin aside. The hermit could dry the skins and save up enough of them to make a soft cloak for Gwyn. Mayhap a muff for her hands or line slippers for her feet...

"Drew?" John interrupted Drew's thoughts, "Gwyn said that you needed me?"

"I cannot believe that I did not see it myself." John said as Drew finished explaining. I was just grateful to find a respite from war and to see Erec beginning to mend."

"Aye. Our little sister is a very clever woman. We need to get started on a hermit shack at first light."

"I will search out a place now. There is time yet before it becomes too dark to see."

"Aye. I shall take this to Gwyn. She tells me we have mushrooms and wild carrots for our stew tonight and I know there was a potato or two she pulled from the garden."

"I will be back in plenty of time." John grinned broadly. "I have not feasted so well since we left Brecken."

---

"Are you lost lad? Else you are looking for me."

"Aye. I mean, Nay, I am not lost. I was looking for you. But Jordan always said I was better at hiding than tracking. He told me to get a good dog else I shall never catch anything at all. But I found you."

"Have you been looking for me long, then?"

"Only since you left the healer's room."

"What do you want from me? You cannot rob me, for I have no monies. You cannot kill me, for I was a soldier once and shall easily best you even with my lame leg. You have come to ask me to take you away with me then?"

"Nay. I have something for my father."

"Who is your father? Mayhap I can help you to find him."

"He is a brave knight and he has gone away to the king. He went away and then some men came and they went away again... with my mother. I am left here with Lady Alexandi." Robin shrugged. "She is good to me and to my little sister, but I miss Mama... and my father. Well, he is not my real father. He died. But he is going to marry my mama..."

"There now, do not you be sad." Gil hated to see any child cry, but to see Robin trying so hard not to cry, that was something he felt akin to physical blow. "If your father were here, and you could tell him anything in the world, what would it be?"