Chapter 25

"I do not think it to be any of tourney champions, nor any of the others under contract." Drew supposed.

"I see that you have come to think as I. Our enemy will hide among the men sent by the barons. They are less conspicuous without fame or the chance of being recognized. Whether or not they are actually sent from the barons, or merely claiming to be is yet unknown. I do know that if we prevail, they stand to lose everything, even as our prisoners will upon our return." Erec paused.

"Do you trust Cameron? Bennett? The others under contract?" Erec asked pointedly.

"Cameron and Bennett? Aye. The rest of the lot? To stand and fight in a battle, Aye. But to trust them with my life...of that I am still uncertain."

"Then we have come full circle again. Bring Cameron and Bennett into our confidence about the assassins. There is no one else to trust save the few, and no way to know from where a strike may come." Erec looked out of the tent at the camp. The silence between them broken only by the rain...

"Set John and Thomas to guard the prisoners." Erec spoke without turning, "Caution them to be extra vigilant and to trust no one. Set Cameron and Bennett to the front to lead us home. It is an honor they have earned and it will free you and I to fall back to guard the tribute."

"You believe we will be attacked from outside our ranks." It was not a question.

"Not necessarily by our assassins, but the threat of bandits is very real. If bandits do attack, they will hit the gold first and the prisoners will use the situation to attempt their escape." Erec rolled his shoulders and tipped his head hard right and left, cracking the bones with a loud sigh. "See that it is done. We march at first light, full-mail and breastplate minimum for every soldier."

"John." Drew nodded in passing as left and John entered with a sack over his shoulder.

"Your armor." John said. I have greeves and sabatons also. And your short surcoat if you wish it."

Erec sighed as he hauled himself to his feet and submitted to the armor.

There was too much that was yet unknown for him to plan a proper defense with just the eight of them. They could not be everywhere, and their defense was weakened by dividing. But it could not be helped.

---

After riding all morning and a goodly part of the afternoon in their new positions, Erec saw no signs of trouble, yet he felt the hairs on the back of his neck bristling as the wood came into view. It was a warning that served him well over the years and his muscles tensed in preparation.

At the rate they were traveling they were three or four days from the palace. But once they made it through the pass, the likelihood of attack was reduced to almost nothing. They would begin to cross paths with villages and travelers and the terrain was wide and open with little chance to hide.

If he were a bandit, the wood or the pass would be the perfect place to strike.

"Milord?"

"What is it?"

"I suggest we camp for the night before we reach the wood. There are a several hours of light yet remaining, I know. But darkness comes early in the wood and..."

"I have no desire to pass through the wood carrying this gold with a traitor in our midst...but especially not without the benefit of daylight."

"Shall I ride forward then and—"

"Milord!" Bennett came riding against the troops, "Milord!"

"Halt!" The orders to halt passed down the line. Erec reigned Zeus to a stop as Bennett reached them.