Chapter 23

Erec had a few moments until they were assembled. He turned to Gwyndolyn and found her looking at him with such love...and tears shining upon her cheeks. Tears stung the backs of his eyes and he hurried to blink them away.

"Good bye, my love. May God speed you safe and true." She said with a tearful smile.

"Gwyndolyn..." he whispered and leaned down to kiss her lips, not caring if anyone saw them.

He was supposed to be smitten. She was supposed to be his betrothed. He ended the kiss and cupped her cheek in his palm.

"I have been in love but once before, but the way my heart is breaking now, I know that what I feel for you far eclipses that which I thought was love..."

"I thought that I loved once. I did not think it on par to the songs and poems of the bards. But now I know that there is love," She whispered. "and there is true love... Erec..."

Drew cleared his throat and looked up at them apologetically. "We are assembled and await you, milord."

"Very well." Erec nodded and stood as he turned his full attention back to his lovely bride...

"Come to the gate and see me off?" He said loudly enough that anyone near would hear.

She sniffled and stood, slipping her hand into his and following him from the dais. She followed him from the castle, and out to where a squire held his horse. The Baron and Baroness stood nearby, so he led her to them. She watched as he turned to mount, but paused. Removing his gloves and handing them to the squire, he turned back to her.

It was decided that this was the best way to proclaim their betrothal. Their dramatic farewell would be the stuff of songs and poems to be carried away by the bards and repeated again and again as they travelled the realm. The People's Champion was at last captured by the lovely Lady Gwyndolyn...

Pulling his sword from the sheath, he flipped it in his grip and sank the tip into the dirt before him. Silence settled suddenly when he took a knee before her. Placing a kiss to the cross by blade and hilt, he first cast his eyes heavenward, then met her eyes and spoke in a loud clear voice.

"Before God...before his lordship...before all here present. I pledge thee my troth. My lady, I vow that I shall love none other, that there shall only be you in my heart from this day forward. I pledge my sword and my life to protect you all the days of your life. Only God and King shall come before this vow I swear to you now."

He stood and handed his sword to the squire. He removed his ring and looked at it for a moment. It was the only thing he had left of his father, and it had not left his finger since he first grew old enough to wear it. As he had no time to create a signet since he became a baron, he could think of no more fitting a token. Reaching out, he took her hand.

Holding her gaze, he placed a kiss upon the ring before placing it in her palm and curling her fingers over it.

With a smile that he would remember until his dying day, she opened her palm and placed a kiss upon the ring before she clutched it to her heart. And then in a loud, clear, and happy voice she pledged:

"I pledge you my troth, my lord. I give you my heart, now and for always. The children and I shall wait for you...forever if we must, for we shall have no other in your stead."

He took her other hand and pressed a kiss to her bare knuckles, letting his gaze linger on hers a moment longer before he nodded to the baron and turned to the squire. Replacing his gloves and sword, he mounted and took a last look at his secret bride before turning to go.