Chapter 16

"All good, Robin." She smiled at him. "I am really proud of you. You have done well this evening."

"Thank you, Mama." He beamed as he rushed over and threw his arms around her waist in a big bear hug."

"I love you, too." She chuckled. "Now, you try to get some rest. I shall be here caring for his lordship. Sleep sweet, my dearest one."

"Sleep Sweet, Mama." Robin yawned as he curled up on his pallet and tucked his cloak about him.

Robin, she mused, was always a good sleeper. Any time, any place. If he was tired, he simply closed his eyes and went to sleep. Sometimes she envied him that.

A creak of the chair and a groan from behind brought her at once to his side.

"What is it?"

Erec was tired. Exhausted beyond his physical limits, sick or no. His body was shutting down on him.

"I am better. Please, I need to...to bed." He slurred, no longer caring if he might embarrass her in his undress. His focus now was to make it to the bed before he passed out cold on the stone floor.

With her help, he stood. The room began to spin again, and he swayed. They stopped their progress, but not for long, as he felt his strength waning. With her guidance he felt the press of the bed against his legs and without his normal grace he landed hard upon the bed with a groan as he fought another bout of dizziness.

Carefully removing herself from him, she grabbed his shoulder to keep him upright as she struggled to turn down the covers for him. At last, she was ready for him and she turned to say as much.

Without her support, he fell back. With a groan he pressed his hands to is face, fighting the sickness...and the gentle tug on his fingers.

"My lord." He continued to resist her efforts.

"My Lord, please."

Erec held fast. While he his eyes remained closed, he felt some relief from the churning in his belly.

"Erec." The one word, softly whispered so near his face melted all resistance as she lifted away his hands.

He kept his eyes closed tightly against the light but his entire body relaxed and he sighed as she pressed a cold cloth against his brow, his cheek, and finally over his eyes. Relief wept through him, calming...everything. He relaxed into the softness of the feather tick and the furs and sighed again.

Sleep, his conscience demanded.

"Erec."

Once more he was pulled to the edge of awareness, but could not bring himself to open his eyes.

Sleep was so close. Oblivion. Blessed Oblivion.

"Erec, I cannot do this alone. I am strong, but you are twice my size and more. I need—you—need to help me."

"Mm." he mumbled.

"Do not sleep yet, My lord."

"Mm."

Erec felt the tick shift beneath him as she climbed over it. He heard fabric rustling and then felt her soft touch. And then her voice—a whisper from far away—called to him—guided him. He felt the furs, soft against his chest. With a sigh he reached blindly for—for her.

"No, my lord. You must rest now." She reached for his hand on her waist, to remove it and step away.

"I need—please stay." He mumbled, he thought he asked her to stay, but the last of his senses were leaving him.