Chapter 19

"I never thought you would like it much, being a husband...let alone a father."

"It is an idea that has been circling my heart for some time...the husband part. I did not know at that time that Robin and Sofi were orphaned but if Gwyndolyn has taken them into her heart, I can do no less."

"Very noble of you."

"I am not so noble. Hugh the Great did something the like of it for me when my father was taken from this earth. And Lord Brecken as well."

"He loved you as a son. He still holds a special place in his heart for you. And the Lady Alexandi..."

"She was rather fond of me as a little lad."

"Fond? She absolutely doted upon you! It is some wonder to me that you are not spoiled quite rotten."

"Do you think I should be the ruin of Robin?"

"I can see already that you have a soft spot for him but it is not in you to spoil. You will be strict in your rearing of him, but you will be fair as well. It is your way."

"I think that was a compliment?"

"Most of the time."

"And there is the rest of it!" Erec laughed.

"Erec?" Drew cleared his throat and grew serious. "Do you mean to do it then?"

"I must. You heard what Robin said. They were not at the farm for provisions or even for lust. They were looking for her. They called her the key to their treasure."

"Meaning she was the key to getting whatever reward awaits them for killing you."

"That is what I took it to mean also, but I did not wish to say so in front of Robin."

"I meant what I said about Greenwood."

"Aye. I know that you did. I know our brothers would answer the call, only I hesitate."

"Hugh might claim that they deserted the king's service..."

"He could. It would remove me from the protection of his father's decree and give him a valid reason to mark me publicly as his enemy. Such actions would be tantamount to treason."

"If we make it known you are to take a bride, it would be only natural for you to get Greenwood ready to receive her. In that instance, you could hardly be faulted for sending me there to restore the castle and if they should stay on to protect it in your absence...?"

"It is a sound idea." Erec nodded. "It would provide for those who were dismissed, but also...yes, we should speak of this again at a later date. I need to find his lordship and ask a boon of him."

"He will not grant your boon. He loves you as a son. Your trothed shall be loved as a daughter. He will take nothing from you in return for her protection."

"You are probably right, but I shall ask it of him just the same." Erec nodded to Drew as he turned to go.

He was surprised at how light his steps felt. His attachment to Gwyndolyn was sincere.

He would enjoy retiring to home and hearth if she were lady to his lord.

He sighed as the reality settled like a raincloud over his sunny daydream. A dead man could not take a wife. And there was his oath.

...oaths he corrected.

Hugh II might allow him to retire, but what of his oath to Hugh I? It is all borrowed trouble best left for another day. His smile returned as he recalled Gwyndolyn's gentle scolding: