Chapter 61

"Nay, your majesty." Brecken hurried to assure, "He is ever your servant, my liege. Twas in your name that he issued for peace—permanent peace—betwixt our kingdoms, so that your majesty would receive all of the honor and glory. That is not the work of a spy, your majesty, but rather the work of a man devoted to the crown...your crown, your majesty."

"That is true." Hugh was annoyed.

It would have been better to be able to execute the man as a traitor to the crown. Instead, it seemed that he was ever destined to hear of the greatness of the People's Champion. Would that the rumors of his death had been true...

"Bring him to me at once." Hugh waved his hand about dismissing Brecken.

"Majesty." Lord Neron said after Brecken had gone. "Is it wise to call such a dangerous man before you?"

"Are you suggesting that he will try to kill me?"

"I only caution you against his violent nature."

"You worry too much, Neron." Hugh waved a hand in dismissal and moved to the window to look out. Suddenly he turned back. "I have changed my mind. I wish to receive him in my private chambers above stairs. Come Neron."

As he stormed from the room, leaving all in wonder of his sudden departure, he mumbled an order that Brecken and Lord Erec should be sent to his chambers immediately when they appeared in the Great Hall.

---

"Do you suppose he means to order my death then?" Erec asked quietly as they made their way to the Great Hall.

"I know not, but Lord Neron was in close attendance."

"So, the viper would strike." Erec smiled. "Well, my old friend, how is your sword?"

"It is slower than it was in my youth," Brecken admitted before he added with a wink and a smile, "But just as sharp as ever it was."

---

"This is a much more suitable arrangement to receive him, your majesty." Neron oozed. "You have control over all that are present. He cannot slip an assassin among the servants."

"Quite so." Hugh waved him off and went restlessly to the window.

Leaning both hands upon the stone sill, he looked out at the people below.

They were so many in number and stood so closely together that the ground appeared to be moving. They reminded him of the ants he had watched as a child...right before he stomped them into oblivion.

Hugh smiled as a knock sounded upon his door. Hugh turned, though he remained near the window. The temperatures were stifling inside the castle and though the air out of doors was also humid, at least it was unpolluted by the foul smell of the ... ordinary people.

"Lord Brecken and Lord Erec, your majesty." The herald melted away and returned to the hall, closing the door behind him.

"My lords," Hugh beckoned with condescension, "I bid you enter."

Erec and Brecken entered, but stopped a few feet from the door as it quietly closed behind them. There was no way to know how many men Neron had hidden behind the closed door to the king's private chamber. But with a quick sweep of the room, Erec knew that he and Brecken could take any already present, should the need arise.

Hugh stood near the window, his hand resting casually upon the sill, though his stance was anything but relaxed. Erec felt Hugh's hatred like a physical thing as it washed over him and settled thickly upon the air.