Chapter 59

"I did not doubt your abilities, for you have shown yourself to be a worthy knight. But I saw what happened after Hugh the Great passed and in my love for you, I wished to do something to help. I found two young knights. They had not yet built a name for themselves, but they are good Christians and good knights. I swore them to secrecy and set them to watch over you."

"You did what?" Erec asked in disbelief, wondering who he could mean. None of his men came to mind.

...and when could he have sent them? The king had Erec away from the garrison for so long...

"The young Sirs Gil and Dermot." The bishop smiled warmly and paused for a very long time.

Erec thought the man was asleep and moved to set the bishop's hand upon the bed when the old eyes sprang open.

"But I have also sinned, and for that I shall answer. Let me confess all to you, that you may judge me fairly in your heart and remember me only with fondness. In my youth, shortly after I became a bishop, I was sent to council the King. I served him well in matters of finance, for I was knowledgeable in such affairs. Unfortunately, I was not so wise in matters of war."

Once more the bishop rested but this time Erec waited through the long pause. He understood that the bishop needed to rally his strength to finish the tale. Although Erec thought he knew the sin to be treason, he kept silent to allow the bishop reveal the tale in his own way. And there was plenty that was revealed to him that he wished to think upon.

"It was at my urging that Hugh entered into the war upon the sea with the kingdom of , the kingdom that was over the sea to the south, but is no more. Hugh the Great was victorious and he divided the lands with his ally, the king of Vilamout."

"Our kingdom doubled in size and prospered. But the expansion came at a dear price. Crown Prince Bruce fell in that war." Erec quietly remembered.

"Aye. And because of that, his brother Hugh now wears the crown. Hugh is not a good man and he will never be a good king. It is because of me that the innocent people of this kingdom suffer at his hand. I had not long left to live with my mistake, but I prayed most fervently for the people. It was then that I learned, quite by mistake, that there was another who should be king."

"It is treason to speak of it, and I shall not hear it. I shall not let you damn your soul to hell after you have devoted your life to serving others. Grandfather...please." Erec's eyes burned with unshed tears as the old fingers curled against his own.

"I speak of one who is of the ancient bloodline. He who has more right to wear the crown than Hugh II. It is said that the ancient bloodline ended with King Marek, a good king who died without issue. Upon his death, the crown was passed to his cousin Xavier, he that was great-grandfather to Hugh the Great. But the crown was never Xavier's to take."

"Are you saying that Marek had a son?"

"I am saying that Marek had a brother, Norek. Norek was a well-kept secret, as he was not born to the Queen. Norek's line has prospered. You well know the family's worthiness, my beloved grandson."

"How can I possibly know a thing such as that when I had no knowledge of Norek before you spoke of him."

"But you do know the heir. Our good Lord Brecken is Norek's great-grandson."

"Lord Brecken?" Erec was incredulous and turned to his friend who stood a few steps back with his wife. They nodded.

"So that is why you have been visiting. That is the reason for the secret letters and all the messages. You were trying to get him to claim his birthright."