Chapter 41

"I am finished with the stiches and the salves are applied. Let me bandage your wounds and you may leave us." Gwyn wiped her fingers on her apron and reached for the clean bandages.

"Berk will take you out in a way that will not be traced back to us. If we have any other news, we will find a way to get it to Berk. How shall he get it to you?"

"Never you mind about that part." Berk chuckled. "You get me the message, and I will get it to Cameron."

"Wait!" Gwyn said as Cameron reached for his shirt, and headed toward the door. "You cannot go yet. You have not heard what I discovered this afternoon whilst at the market."

"You uncovered more information while you were shopping."

"Laugh if you like, but I now have faces to go with the names I heard in the wood that day they killed my father. And today I was able to discover the name of the third man. I saw them, but they did not know me."

"Forgive my confusion." Cameron shook his head. "I may have been hit harder than I thought. But if they did not know you, why would they kill your father and seek you out?"

"I suppose they learned about Robin and I from my father before they killed him. But we were hiding in the wood, sleeping actually, when they first came looking. We stayed hidden and after they passed, we made our way to Brecken. They tried again to catch us at the forest road north of Kingspass, but we stayed out of their way until it was safe."

"You are a clever woman."

"I am not sure if you mean that as a compliment or not." Gwyn frowned. "Be that as it may, I heard their voices in the market and found a way to be close without being seen. They were buying something from the Merchant Tailor when I first saw them. Sir Oliver and Sir Jackson were the ones I knew the names of, save I did not know then they were knights."

"How could you not know they were knights if they were dressed—"

"Because we were hidden and I was not going to risk them sensing my eyes upon them and looking in our direction. Do not smile at me. You are a soldier and no doubt you know what I say is true. How many times have you felt the weight of eyes upon you when you cannot see anyone about?" She nodded triumphantly when Cameron nodded his agreement.

"I heard their voices. I listened carefully so I would know them again if I heard them. There were three but only Jackson and Oliver used names. Until today I did not know the name of the third man."

"And..."

"I saw three knights at the Merchant Tailor. I knew then that two of the men were Sir Oliver and Sir Jackson. They were in deference to the third knight. I memorized their faces through bits and glances while I admired the wares of the Clothier in the next booth."

"They did not feel your eyes upon them?"

"I fear they did. And my heart stopped when Sir Jackson caught me glancing at him. But he only smiled and nodded. I nodded back and turned my attention to Sofi so I am sure he thought it nothing more than chance. I am sure it happens often enough where so many people are present."

"It happens almost everywhere he goes." Cameron shook his head. "Sir Jackson is well known to be often in the company of a lady. It is common knowledge that if one wishes for a dalliance..."

"Well, then I am certain he thought nothing of it. But I moved on anyway and delayed in the Drapers booth out of sight as long as I could manage. When I was returning to the Inn, I passed the Sword Seller and saw them again. This time I heard the seller addressing the third man. He called him Lord Neron but I—"