Chapter 56

Gil tried to laugh but was suddenly weary to the bone.

"I need to speak with your father. It is urgent."

Reaching for the reins, Arthur answered. "I will take you to him."

Gil managed to stay awake long enough to make his report and he was still semi-conscious when he was half carried by two men to a bed. He remembered little else until he awoke...

"You are awake!" Arthur chirped cheerfully.

"I suppose I am." Gil admitted. He remembered where he was and why he had come. "Your father-"

"He left to get the news to Sir Cameron."

"When? How long..."

"You have been sleeping for two days." Arthur chuckled. "I was told to watch over you until you awoke and then to fetch Pim so that she could bring you some water for washing and some clean clothes."

"I must be a sight." Gil mused.

"And a smell." Arthur added.

"That also." Gil chuckled as he sat up and swung his legs over the edge of the bed.

He looked around and realized he was in a rather nice room. The walls were whitewashed as were the floors. Three colorful braided rugs covered the larger part of the floor and a beautiful blanket hung upon the wall. It was pieced together with colorful bits of oddly shaped scraps. It was embroidered in places around the edges and the overall effect was pleasing.

The bed was solid, and the posts were carved with flowers and leaves. It was stained in such a way as to enhance the carvings. He trailed his fingers over the one nearest him.

"Pim insisted her room be elegant as befits a lady. But Pa said that unless she was paying for such elegance she would have to do without. So, she did all of this herself, save for the carving. That was Old Woody. He has a gift with all things wood."

"I see that. Where is your sister?"

"She took my bed since I was here." Arthur patted the chair he sat upon. "It rocks!" he demonstrated."

"I see that." Gil repeated and stood. "Now, the water and clean clothes?"

"I shall fetch Pim. Should I also bring a tray of food?"

"Nay. I will eat in the kitchen. I am foul enough that I should spoil my own appetite should I try to eat before I clean up."

Arthur left laughing to do as he was bid.

Several moments later Gil made his way to the kitchen. Elsbet and Pim were there, with Arthur and another he did not know.

"Berk is away." Elsbet smiled as she turned from the hearth with a tray of fresh baked bread.

Pim left the room as Gil took a seat at the table. She returned a few moments later with a pail of warm milk. She ladled some into a cup and offered it to Gil.

"It is not the fare you are used to, Sir, but it will fortify you better. From the state you were in when you arrived, I assume you could use a hot and hearty meal?"

"You assume correctly." Gil smiled his thanks and accepted the milk along with the plate that Elsbet placed before him. Eggs, ham, potatoes and fresh bread with creamy butter.

"I am called Bear. Berk told me to watch his family while he saw to the affairs of the king. I was to ask you to tell us of your journey if you felt up to it, and anything else you may have left out of your rather brief report before you collapsed on us."