Chapter 62

Erec stood in place, as if his feet were turned to stone. His eyes darted from Neron, to Hugh, to the guards and back again. Thankfully, it seemed to him that the guards were stricken with a similar malady for they did not interfere either.

Neron seemed to vibrate with nervous energy as his eyes darted between Erec, the king, and the guards. Erec found it interesting that Neron seemed to have dismissed Brecken as a threat. Erec almost smiled but then Neron's fingers twitched as if he started for his sword, but checked himself. Erec wondered at the war that was so obviously raging withing the man.

Which impulse would win? Neron's inflated pride, or his over-indulged love of self?

At last Hugh moved, but it was with such a casual air that Erec was impressed. Hugh behaved like it was an ordinary day at court in his palace. If anyone were to walk into the room at this moment and gaze only upon the king, that person would never surmise that Hugh had just fought off an assassin, and that his life-long friend was accused of making the attempt.

"You surprise me, Neron." Hugh said at last. Erec heard no note of distress.

"Your majesty! Surely you do not—" Neron bellowed irately.

Desperation was thick in his voice and Erec had his answer.

Over-indulged love of self.

"Do not misunderstand me, Neron." Hugh sounded almost bored. "It does not surprise me that you would make an attempt to seize my crown. What surprises me, Lord Neron, is that it took you so long. Guards, seize him."

As the guards stepped forward and held Neron by the arms, the man continued his pleas.

"But are we not friends?" Neron stepped forward, his voice sounding almost regretful.

"Never have I called you friend. I merely disliked you less than all of the others." Hugh waved a hand and the men started to drag Neron toward the door. "Have you never heard the saying, Neron, to keep your friend close, but your enemy closer?"

"But Lord Erec is the one—"

The guards paused, as if they also wished to know if the king would also arrest the man to whom this kingdom owed so much...

"Ah yes. Well..." Hugh agreed with a sigh. "I can hardly have him drawn and quartered, now can I? After this bloody resurrection of his, the people have elevated him to a position only a little lower than a blessed saint. I am almost reconciled to being well and stuck with him."

Hugh frowned with obvious distaste. "But you..."

Hugh waved a hand and the guards moved once more to the door. They stumbled because Neron's knees unexpectedly gave way and the guards were forced to drag him as he gave up all pretenses and began to sob and beg for mercy.

"Wait!" Hugh called, holding up a hand.

The guards halted just as they reached the door. Neron suddenly regained his full strength, and found his feet again, though the guards held him in place between them.

Erec frowned. He had underestimated Neron.

The sorrowful sobbing and begging were yet another pretense...

"I have a masterful idea."

Brecken and Erec exchanged a worried look but neither moved.

"I shall arrange a tourney a fortnight hence. And as part of the sport, Neron, you may prove your innocence in battle. I choose Lord Erec as my champion. If you kill Lord Erec, I shall spare your life. Banishment shall be your sentence and you shall live out the rest of your days away from this land. However, if he kills you..." Neron shrugged. "I shall still be rid of you."