Chapter 37

"King's colors?"

"It was night by then. I tried to move closer, but one of the men chose that moment to relieve himself...I managed to get away without notice, but I did not kill the soldier, as he wore not surcoat. I could not tell if they were friendlies. I rode through the wood north and east to hide in the wood near the base of the mountains this side of Garret's Keep.

It is my wish that they will assume that I continued on toward the Keep. I waited two days before I moved. I followed the mountains east ad skirted around the north end of the Loch to the wood that runs south of Greenwood. I stayed in the tree line, but kept the edge of the loch in sight until I was certain I was not followed before cutting west and coming here."

"You were not followed then. There is much to tell you though." Erec said as he gestured to the stools and the men sat."

---

"So, they could be King's men watching for Garret's men, since Brecken sent word to the king."

"If they are not, they may be more men sent by our assassins to watch the roads lest you make a reappearance."

"Aye. I thought of that also, which is why I returned here. I have no wish to be questioned."

"That was a smart thing. If they are neither King's men, nor assassins, then mayhap they are from the Keep and are awaiting word to advance..."

"Or reinforcements from End'aven."

"From what you tell me of the spies, this could be more of Axel's men. In any case, I do not believe that Brecken's man made it through to the king."

"We must get word to the King! He must know of the spies, of Axel's attack on Port Castle and his pressing the pass and Brecken. He needs to know about the threat from Garret!"

"Aye, but I am a dead man, remember? Dead men tell no tales. And you are too well known as my second Drew."

"As are John and Thomas. But Gil and I are not well known."

"No!" Gwyn spoke up. Giving the children's hands a squeeze, she left them to move over to Erec. "Two men alone would be suspect. They would be taken, regardless if they were injured or not and they would be questioned."

"She is right. They have the roads south sealed up tight."

"A family." Gwyn said.

"No!" Erec bellowed.

"Let her speak." Drew said softly. "I do not wish her harm, but the king...the whole kingdom..."

Erec growled and Gwyn went on.

"Dermot is not known by anyone to be associated with you. Neither is Gil. They were among the men Brecken sent as tribute and came with you and the others for the north campaign. They were not among your former men."

"One of them then."

"Nay. I must go also, and Sofi."

"I will go with you, mama!"

"No Robin. You and I together are known. But a man, his wife and a daughter will not raise suspicions."

"She speaks truly." Drew frowned. "Though I like it not."

"Neither do I." Erec scowled. "Robin, you must stay with me. I will train you how to fight with a knife so that you can protect your sister and mother once they return. I leave it to the two of you," Erec nodded to Gil and Dermot, "to decide which of you is to become a husband and father. I trust you with my family. Guard them with your lives."