Chapter 60

The trumpeters blew their horns and silence fell, after which they called loudly: Hear Ye! Hear Ye! The people began to press forward and murmur in speculation. A second blast, shorter that the first followed and once more they called: Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

At last, there was silence as attention fixed upon Lord Brecken.

I bid you welcome, my lords and ladies, countrymen and guests. We are to witness history this day as a permanent treaty of peace will be entered into by King Axel of Far North and our own King Hugh II. Their majesties will sign the treaty in an official ceremony this eve. After which a feast will be held in celebration.

Before I release you to enjoy our hospitality, let it be known that acts of theft, violence, or other misdeeds will not be tolerated whilst royalty is in attendance on Brecken land. You will note the guards posted, and the archers at the wall. They are the best in the realm and they shall prove it this very morn.

In one hour, upon the moor outside the west wall they shall compete and shall otherwise display their talents.

Excited murmurs rose in anticipation and the baron lifted his hand signaling the trumpets. When the crowd became silent once more, Brecken continued.

Be it known to all that misconduct shall be severely punished. Perpetrators of theft or violence inside of the walls will be immediately struck down with arrow. If they live, they will be held in the dungeons until royalty has left this place.

Any such acts outside of the walls, if in range of the archers will also be struck down and imprisoned. Those outside of the archers' range will be forcibly taken by the guard. If they survive this, they will be imprisoned.

If any person is traveling in company with such perpetrators, they must leave Brecken lands at once or they shall also be forcibly taken by the guards and imprisoned.

We are here to celebrate a perpetual peace between our two kingdoms. We shall not tolerate any behaviors that would besmirch such an occasion.

Brecken was an impressive sight as he stood upon the wall in his best armor, flanked by fully armored guards resplendent in Brecken's colors. He held the attention of every man, and woman present. Even many of the children were fixated upon the lordly old knight upon the wall.

The encampments of the people of Far North that are betwixt the North wall and North Pass are strictly forbidden. While King Axel is in residence, that land is given over to his rule. All trespasses and offenses shall be handled by them according to their law, even to the point of death. I shall not interfere.

Consider, I beseech thee, what you owe to me and pay heed to what I demand. Do not trespass.

Hushed whispered rippled through the crowds. Lord Brecken was known to be a good Lord, fair and just. This was most serious indeed, for Lord Brecken was not know to make demands of his people. Brecken recognized their understanding and knew the time had come to conclude.

Instead, may you be merry and rejoice and partake of the festivities. Make your way to the moors for the demonstrations and competitions that will be held shortly.

I conclude then by saying that at the sound of the trumpets, I shall release you.

Go with HIS blessing and mine.

Brecken raised his hands and the trumpets sounded, followed this time by shouts of HUZZAH as the people began the celebration in full.

Merchants had their carts arranged outside of the walls and there were wares and foods for all to enjoy. There were jugglers and men upon tall stilts. There were sword eaters, and fire eaters and all manner of acrobat. There were musicians and dancing. And upon the moor, people were gathering to witness the demonstrations.