Chapter 30

"I sent John and Thomas back to Brecken as the first arrows fell. They rode like the hounds of hell were snapping at their heels. I feel that they will return with help just as urgently."

"Do you think that they will arrive before the army goes?"

"Nay, but it will be a close thing. I am to meet with the lieutenants and turn over command to Cameron. He will get the men and the tribute to the king. I bid him to leave at first light. I expect John and Thomas at any time after midday—if they were able to make haste and get fresh horses."

"They will. And if I know my w—Gwyn, she will demand to come back with them."

"Your w—? You already wed her." It was not a question.

"Gil and Dermot know. The rest of you were with the men, getting ready to depart. I have not had opportunity to tell you yet."

"It is for the best I suppose. If she is to travel unchaperoned with six bachelor knights.

Erec's chuckle turned to a cough. Wincing he let out a moan. Drew frowned, casting a look toward the camp. Erec smirked.

"Surely a dying man is entitled to a moan or two in his final moments."

Drew rolled his eyes and left Erec alone with his bad jokes to go and meet with the lieutenants.

---

"Good Morn, Milady." John spoke softly as he gently touched her shoulder.

Gwyndolyn groaned and opened her eyes. "Is it morn already?" she complained, "Surely it will not be morn for a few more hours at the least."

John chuckled. This was the second morning he awakened her, so he was not disturbed by her discomfiture.

"Aye, milady." He smiled as she groaned, rolled on her back and rubbed at her eyes. "Tis morn. We will have a quick meal to break our fast and then we will be on our way again."

Gwyndolyn was mid-stretch when he finished. Dropping her arms suddenly, she frowned at him.

"I suppose if we are to get there, we must ride. For it is a fact that I can no longer walk."

"Nay, milady." John smiled patiently. "You asked me to wake you early so that you might walk about a bit before we leave. But if you still wish to do so, you must make haste."

"Oh?" Gwyndolyn tossed aside the furs and winced against the pull on her muscles as John helped her to her feet. "Why the haste?"

"We shall reach the place that we left them around midday, so we will not stop before then. Thomas is as anxious as you and I to learn the fate of our friends."

"Of course." She frowned, forcing he stiff legs to move. She was loathe to be put upon the horse again, but she was also grateful that the end of her torturous ride was near.

Soon she would be with Erec again...

Gwyndolyn gasped as she stopped suddenly.

"Milady?" John asked, looking upon her paled complexion with concern. "What is it? What is wrong?"

"What if he is d—dead?" she forced the word. Her legs felt unable to hold her and she grasped John's arm tightly as she swayed. It was a possibility that she had not allowed herself to consider.

"We shall not know until we arrive. You must set all such thoughts aside until then. And then, I shall stand with you to face whatever awaits us."

"Thank you, John. You are a true friend."

They spoke no further, each lost in thought as they circled the camp in their slow amble, stretching out some of Gwyndolyn's stiffness before facing another long ride.