5:18

Celeste felt a powerful jerk behind her navel, and the ground vanished from beneath her feet. Her hand was glued to the kettle; she was banging into the others as all sped forward in a swirl of colors and a rush of wind, the kettle pulling them onward and then —

Her feet hit the ground so hard that her knees buckled, the kettle clattered to the floor, and somewhere close at hand, a voice said, "Back again, the blood traitor brats, is it true their father's dying ...?"

"OUT!" roared a second voice.

Celeste scrambled to her feet and looked around; they had arrived in the gloomy basement kitchen of number twelve, Grimmauld Place. The only sources of light were the fire and one guttering candle, which illuminated the remains of a solitary supper. Kreacher was disappearing through the door to the hall, looking back at them malevolently as he hitched up his loincloth; Sirius was hurrying toward them all, looking anxious. He was unshaven and still in his day clothes; there was also a slightly Mundungus-like whiff of stale drink about him.

"What's going on?" he said, stretching out a hand to help Ginny up. "Phineas Nigellus said Arthur's been badly injured —"

"Ask Harry and Celeste," Fred said.

"Yeah, I want to hear this for myself," George said.

The twins and Ginny were staring at them. Kreacher's footsteps had stopped on the stairs outside.

"It was —" Harry began; this was even worse than telling McGonagall and Dumbledore. "I had a -- well we had — a kind of — vision. ..."

And they told them all that they had seen, though Celeste altered the story so that it sounded as though they had watched from the sidelines as the snake attacked, rather than from behind the snake's own eyes. ... Ron, who was still very white, gave them a quick look but did not speak. When Harry and Celeste had finished, Fred, George, and Ginny continued to stare at them for a moment. Celeste did not know whether she was imagining it or not, but she fancied there was something accusatory in their looks. Well, if they were going to blame them for just seeing the attack, she was glad she had not told them that she had been inside the snake at the time. ...

"Is Mum here?" Fred said, turning to Sirius.

"She probably doesn't even know what's happened yet," Sirius said. "The important thing was to get you away before Umbridge could interfere. I expect Dumbledore's letting Molly know now."

"We've got to go to St. Mungo's," Ginny said urgently. She looked around at her brothers; they were, of course, still in their pajamas. "Sirius, can you lend us cloaks or anything — ?"

"Hang on; you can't go tearing off to St. Mungo's!" Lyra appeared by Sirius's side.

" 'Course we can go to St. Mungo's if we want," Fred said, with a mulish expression, "he's our dad!"

"And how are you going to explain how you knew Arthur was attacked before the hospital even let his wife know?"

"What does that matter?" George said hotly.

"It matters because we don't want to draw attention to the fact that Harry and Celeste are having visions of things that are happening hundreds of miles away!" Sirius said angrily. "Have you any idea what the Ministry would make of that information?"

Fred and George looked as though they could not care less what the Ministry made of anything. Ron was still white-faced and silent. Ginny said, "Somebody else could have told us. ... We could have heard it somewhere other than Harry or Celeste..."

"Like who?" Sirius said impatiently. "Listen, your dad's been hurt while on duty for the Order, and the circumstances are fishy enough without his children knowing about it seconds after it happened, you could seriously damage the Order's —"