5;24

THE NEXT MORNING, CELESTE HOPED THAT TODAY WOULD BE BETTER THAN YESTERDAY. Of course, she was proven wrong when Daphnes' Daily Prophet arrived, and she smoothed it out, gazed for a moment at the front page, and then gave a yelp that caused everyone in the vicinity to stare at her.

"What?" Celeste and Melody asked. Daphne tried to hide the newspaper, but Melody snatched it and spread the newspaper on the table in front of them.

Twelve black-and-white photographs filled the whole of the front page, ten showing wizards' faces and the tenth and eleventh, witches. Some of the people in the photographs were silently jeering; others were tapping their fingers on the frame of their pictures, looking insolent. Each photo was captioned with a name and the crime for which the person had been sent to Azkaban.

Antonin Dolohov, read the legend beneath a wizard with a long, pale, twisted face sneering up at Celeste, convicted of the brutal murders of Gideon and Fabian Prewett. He was Luke's and Potentias' father.

Augustus Rookwood, said the caption beneath a pockmarked man with greasy hair leaning against the edge of his picture, looking bored, convicted of leaking Ministry of Magic Secrets to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

But Celeste's eyes were drawn to the picture of a dark-skinned wizard with dark hair matching Melody's. Celeste looked at Melody, whose eyes were stuck on the photo of her father.

"That sucks," Melody said, giving Daphne her paper back.

Celeste was going to say something, but Theo plopped down at the table and grinned at Melody.

"Daddy-o broke out of Azkaban, huh?" he said, pouring himself a cup of tea. "When do I get to meet the parents?"

"Shut up," Melody rolled her eyes, though she was looking less down.

"Ugh, there's gonna be like dead muggles everywhere now," Daphne said. "Bellatrix Lestrange and Luci Riddle."

"Lyra Black had a sister?" Celeste asked. Lyra had never mentioned her.

"Twin sister," Theo said. "I've seen photos of her from my dad. Super hot."

Celeste went to the Gryffindor table, where Hermione, Harry, and Ron were also discussing the Daily Prophet.

"Did you know Lyra has a sister?" Harry asked, pointing to the Prophet.

Celeste shook her head. She looked over to Hermione. "Melody's father broke out too."

Hermione frowned, then stood and muttered something about sending a letter to someone.

* * *

The following weeks were ones with news decrees coming up every day, Occlumency classes with Snape, DA meetings, and homework that kept the fifth years up past midnight more nights. Before Celeste knew it, February was here with warmer weather.

On the morning of the fourteenth, Celeste dressed carefully, hoping that Ron would ask her to go to the village with her for Valentine's Day. Melody was going with Hermione, Daphne was going with Tia, Blaise was going on a double date with some girl from Ravenclaw with Theo, and Cho was going with Harry.

She got to the Gryffindor table just as Hermione and Melody were leaving.

"Are you going to Hogsmeade?" She asked Ron, but he shook his head, looking glum.

"I can't come into Hogsmeade at all; Angelina wants a full day's training. Like it's going to help — we're the worst team I've ever seen. You should see Sloper and Kirke. They're pathetic, even worse than I am." He heaved a great sigh. "I dunno why Angelina won't just let me resign. ..."