4:12

The mood in the castle as they entered June became excited and tense again. Everyone was looking forward to the third task, which would take place a week before the end of term. Harry was practising hexes at every available moment. Difficult and dangerous though it would undoubtedly be, Moody was right: Harry had managed to find his way past monstrous creatures and enchanted barriers before now, and this time he had some notice, some chance to prepare himself for what lay ahead. 

    Tired of walking in on Harry, Hermione, Celeste, and Ron all over the school, Professor McGonagall had permitted them to use the emptyTransfiguration classroom at lunchtimes. Harry had soon mastered the impediment Curse, a spell to slow down and obstruct attackers; the Reductor Curse, which would enable him to blast solid objects out of his way; and the Four-Point Spell, a useful discovery of Hermiones that would make his wand point due north, therefore enabling him to check whether he was going in the right direction within the maze. He was still having trouble with the Shield Charm, though. This was supposed to cast a temporary, invisible wall around himself that deflected minor curses; Hermione managed to shatter it with a well-placed JellyLegs Jinx, and Harry wobbled around the room for ten minutes afterwards before she had looked up the counter jinx.

     "You're still doing really well, though," Hermione said encouragingly, looking down her list and crossing off those spells they had already learned."Some of these are bound to come in handy."

    "Come and look at this," Ron said, who was standing by the window. He was staring down onto the grounds. "What's Malfoy doing?"

     Harry, Celeste, and Hermione went to see. Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle were standing in the shadow of a tree below. Crabbe and Goyle seemed to be keeping a lookout; both were smirking. Draco was holding his hand up to his mouth and speaking into it.

     "He looks like he's using a walkie-talkie," Harry said curiously. 

     "He can't be," Hermione said, "I've told you, those sorts of things don't work around Hogwarts. Come on, Harry," she added briskly, turning away from the window and moving back into the middle of the room, "let's try that Shield Charm again."

   "You could always spy for us, Celeste," Ron suggested, turning away from the window.

    "I can't spy on my friends," Celeste said. "I don't spy on you guys for him."

                                                 JUNE 24TH

       Breakfast was a very noisy affair at the Gryffindor table on the morning of the third task. Celeste was sitting over at the Gryffindor table when the post owls appeared, bringing Harry a good-luck card from Sirius. A screech owl arrived for Hermione, carrying her morning copy of the DailyProphet as usual. She unfolded the paper, glanced at the front page, and spat out a mouthful of pumpkin juice all over it.

    "What?" Harry, Celeste, and Ron together, staring at her. 

     "Nothing," Hermione said quickly, trying to shove the paper out of sight, but Ron grabbed it.

    He stared at the headline and said, "No way. Not today. That old cow."

      "What?" Celeste said. "Rita Skeeter again?"

     "No," Ron said, and just like Hermione, he attempted to push the paper out of sight.

     "It's about one of us, isn't it?" Harry said.

      "No," Ron said, in an entirely unconvincing tone. Celeste grabbed the paper from his hands.

     Looking at the newspaper Celeste saw a picture of herself and Harry beneath the banner headline: