5:22

Celeste was looking forward to going back to school and seeing her friends again. That was, until on the very last day of the hol­idays, something hap­pened that made ­her pos­itive­ly dread her re­turn to school.

"Harry, Celeste," Mrs. Weasley said, poking her head into Ron's bedroom, where Ron and Harry were playing wizard chess, watched by Celeste, Hermione, Ginny, and Crookshanks, "could you two come down to the kitchen? Professor Snape would like a word with you."

"Snape?" Celeste said blankly.

"Professor Snape, dear," Mrs. Weasley said reprovingly. "Now come on, quickly; he says he can't stay long."

"What's he want with you two?" said Ron, looking unnerved as Mrs. Weasley withdrew from the room."You guys haven't done anything, have you?"

"No!" said Harry indignantly.

"He's going to murder you, Cele," Ginny sniffed. "You'll end up dead in this horrible place."

"I doubt they would let him murder any of us," Celeste said, standing up from her chair.

They pushed open the kitchen door a minute or two later to find Sirius and Snape both seated at the long kitchen table, glaring in opposite directions. Lyra was sitting in the seat to the left of Sirius, looking as if a fight was about to break out. The silence between them was heavy with mutual dislike. A letter lay open on the table in front of Sirius.

"Er," said Harry to announce their presence. Snape looked around at him, his face framed between curtains of greasy black hair."Sit down, you two."

"You know," Sirius said loudly, leaning back on his rear chair legs and speaking to the ceiling, "I think I'd prefer it if you didn't give orders here, Snape. It's my house, you see."

An ugly flush suffused Snape's pallid face. Harry sat down beside Sirius, facing Snape across the table. Celeste sat next to Lyra.

"I was supposed to see you alone, Potter and Diggory," said Snape, the familiar sneer curling his mouth, "but Black and Riddle —"

"Black," Lyra said, finally speaking. "as you should know by now, Severus."

"I am here on Dumbledore's orders,"  Snape said, ignoring Lyras' words. "but by all means, stay, Black. I know you like to feel ... involved."

"What's that supposed to mean?" said Sirius, letting his chair fall back onto all four legs with a loud bang.

"Merely that I am sure you must feel — ah — frustrated that you can do nothing useful," Snape laid delicate stress on the word, "for the Order."

It was Sirius's turn to flush. Snape's lip curled in triumph as he turned to Harry and Celeste.

"The headmaster has sent me to tell you that it is his wish for you two to study Occlumency this term."

"Study what?" said Harry blankly.

Snape's sneer became more pronounced."Occlumency, Potter. The magical defense of the mind against external penetration. An obscure branch of magic, but a beneficial one."

"Why do we have to study Occlumency?" Celeste blurted out.

"Because the headmaster thinks it a good idea," said Snape smoothly. "You two will receive lessons once a week, but you will not tell anybody what you are doing, least of all Dolores Umbridge. You understand?"