3:2

Hermione woke Celeste and Ginny up early to get ready. They went down quickly and sat with Mrs Weasley.

"Good morning," Celeste said, yawning.

"Morning girls." Mrs Weasley said, smiling.

"Nice bracelet, Mrs Weasley," Hermione said.

"Ah," Mrs Weasley said, smiling to herself. "Celeste's mother gave it to me in our 6th year. It was after we made love potions for the boys we liked, very nice experience."

"Oh Merlin," Celeste said, as they all started giggling.

There was a lot of chaos leaving: they were too busy heaving all their trunks down the Leaky Cauldron'snarrow staircase and piling them up near the door, with Hedwig andHermes, Percy's screech owl, perched on top in their cages. Two small wickerwork baskets stood beside the heap of trunks, spitting loudly.

"It's all right, guys," Hermione cooed through the wickerworks. "We'll let you two out on the train.

'You two won't," Ron snapped. "What about poor Scabbers, eh?"

He pointed at his chest, where a large lump indicated that Scabbers was curled up in his pocket.

"Mr Weasley, who had been waiting for the Ministry cars, stuck his head inside.

"They're here," he said. "Harry, come on."

Shortly after Harry left Ron, Celeste, and Hermione joined him.

The journey to King's Cross was very uneventful. They reached King's Cross with twenty minutes to spare; the Ministry drivers found them trolleys, unloaded their trunks, touched their hats in salute to Mr Weasley, and drove away.

"Right then," Mr Weasley said, glancing around them. "Let's do this in pairs, as there are so many of us. I'll go through first with Harry."

After Mr Weasley and Harry left, Ginny and Percy went, then Hermione and Celeste, Ron and Mrs Weasley, then George and Fred.

After waving a quick goodbye to Mr and Mrs Weasley they hurried on the train.

"I need to talk to you in private," Harry muttered to Ron, Hermione, and Celeste as the train picked up speed.

"Go away, Ginny," Ron said.

"Oh, that's nice," Ginny said huffily, and she stalked off.

Harry, Ron, Celeste and Hermione set off down the corridor, looking for an empty compartment, but all were full except for the one at the very end of the train.

This had only one occupant, a man sitting fast asleep next to the window. Harry, Ron, Celeste and Hermione checked on the threshold. The HogwartsExpress was usually reserved for students and they had never seen an adult there before, except for the witch who pushed the food cart.

The stranger was wearing an extremely shabby set of wizard's robes that had been darned in several places. He looked ill and exhausted. Though quite young, his light brown hair was flecked with grey.

"Who d'you reckon he is?" Ron hissed as they sat down and slid the door shut, taking the seats farthest away from the window.

"Professor R.J. Lupin," Hermione whispered at once.

"How d'you know that?"

"It's on his case," she replied, pointing at the luggage rack over the man's head where there was a small, battered case held together with a large quantity of neatly knotted string.