Chapter 4: Unknown Territory

Hanji's POV

Levi was busy combing through my messy tangles. It's damp from the water of dying my hair- and Levi wanted to ensure my hair was washed correctly. Who knew there was this "correct" way of washing hair. Isn't there only way to wash it?

Usually, it's a habit that I don't carry contact lenses with me- since it all was just a spare. Just in case if my glasses broke or something happened to them. Thankfully, I packed it before Levi took me into this... room. I haven't gotten around to looking at his place, but other than the front door, I counted 3 doors. 

"Levi?" I asked, wincing as he was brushing the tangles out. "Levi, can I look around here once you're done with my hair? I already showered and you had to help scrub my body down. I think I deserve some personal time alone."

He sighed, continuing to brush my hair. "Yeah, it's fine. I'm not keeping you prisoner here. It's just... you're in a dangerous place, my dear scientist. I want to make sure you go home safe and sound. Otherwise, I'll never be free again."

"Free? Speaking of... there were those charges-"

"Drop it." He scowled so deeply it frightened me. "Don't ask. Stay out of it, Hanji. Anyways, they should be here by now..." Levi grabbed a nearby towel and started to dry my hair excessively. "Stay in the bedroom. I'll ask Mikasa to get a change of clothes. You should fit her size."

"Should?"

"Give or take a few inches." Levi chuckled, continuing to dry my hair. "And- one other thing... maybe if you kept your hair down, you'll look beautiful."

I scoffed, shaking my head. "Dying my hair black, wearing contact lenses, new clothes, and my hair being down? So many demands of me... I hate it..." I tried to turn back to see Levi, but he tugged on my hair. "Ow- that hurts, Midget."

Another tug on my hair. "Don't call me that, Shitty Glasses. Keep moving your head, and I'll tug on your hair harder and a lot more painful. I'm almost done drying it. Then I gotta brush it again."

"Jeez..."

He was true to his word. After he was done drying it, he went back to brush it again. For what reason, I don't know. Is it really that messy that he had to brush it again? Or is he just being some sort of a clean-freak that my hair had to be perfect. 

Minutes had passed, and my hair felt heavy. Like Levi dropped it. "Done." He growled, getting off his chair. "Just in time too- I see Eren over there. Go off and explore the rooms, then, Hanji. I just need to talk to them in private. That's all. I'll give you a change of clothes too once Mikasa gets me them."

"W-Who now?"

"It's my group. No, we don't do anything illegal. If we do, it's minor. They don't kill. Say that we're like the Robin Hood of modern times. It's the closer group of the leader that are the most dangerous. I trust them- but I still won't saying who you are. I promise."

With a heavy sigh, I retreated into one of the bedrooms, thinking it was the masters- I was wrong. Instead, it was a single bed with neatly folded sheets. A desk underneath the window- presumably locked. A bookcase right next to it- surprisingly, there were tons of books. When my eyes scanned through it, I saw these books were... interesting.

Books about fantasy and heroes. They were updated too. Drunken Angels was there too. It's one of my favorites, honestly. Published about 7 months ago with top reviews. A story about a drunken woman who lost almost everyone she ever had. A man who seemed to be her guardian angel cleaned her up and helped her. He too lost just about everyone they had. It was a beautiful story of love.

Why did Levi have that?

He doesn't strike me to be a romantic. A little scary, but not a romantic one.

A window... 

I shouldn't leave the house, but he said I was free to explore. I know he meant the house, but I won't run away. Even if I could, I still needed that serum. I'll pop back in- just 5 minutes to see where I was. Quick out and in. Levi won't catch me.

*   *   *

Crawling out of the window, it was a small jump down. Not being completely athletic, I sprained my ankle just a bit. So now, I walked with a small limp. I had no clue where I was. 

This place had no sky- it had to be day. There was no clouds, no stars, no sun, nothing in the sky. Yet buildings were rising high into the sky. Some windows were lit with light- some were nothing there. It quickly makes me wonder...

Am I underground?

Curiously, I tried to find more answers- until I ran into some guy. 

"Huh?" This guy was buff as hell. Big shoulders and at least 6 foot. "Who the hell are you?" His voice was of thunder- startling me heavily.

"M-Me? I-I'm... I'm..."

"Speak up- no stuttering."

"Yes!" My back rose and went into this stiff position. "S-Sorry!"

"I have never seen you before... who recruited you? Huh?!"

If I could run, it would be possible, but difficult. I don't know these roads- but it's very likely this guy knew it all. And I couldn't risk getting lost. Levi would have to track me down and... it'll be such a chaotic mess to go through. 

"You look," the man began, "somewhat familiar..."

"I do?"

"Yes..."

Levi did say that people have been searching for me to help duplicate the serum, so they would know what I look like. But my hair is completely different- dyed and in a different style. Must I cut it as well then? And I'm wearing contacts now- my glasses are inside Levi's house. Maybe there's something about my facial features that make me stand out a bit more.

"Who-" Before the man could go on, I hear Levi's voice popping up.

"You!" I turned, seeing him stomp towards me with anger raging within his eyes. "What are you doing here?"

Stammering, I tried to answer, but the man answered instead. "The boss wanted us to come back from our search for the scientist. Apparently she's been taken into custody and only a few trusted members know where she is. Unless we get inside that group, it's hopeless for now. Our scientists have to figure out to replicate it without her."

"And what were you doing with this woman right in front of you?" 

Levi grabbed my arm tightly and tugged me towards them. "She bumped into me first. I was trying to figure out who she is."

"Who she is doesn't matter to you, okay? Besides, I rather keep her a secret from the boss."

"What is this? Some sort of affair?"

"Unlikely. I'm in her debt that I was able to come home. I've been... pleasuring the both of us. If the boss was able to find her, I rather not explain it to him. Nor would I be willing to get someone who saved me taken away. Isn't that right, sweetie?"

Levi looked at me, almost nudging me to follow his lead. "Y-Yes, sir..."

"Good, Belle."

Bell? Where did that come from?

"Your name is Belle? Why didn't you say that?" The man scowled at me.

"Actually," why did my mouth have to take a life of its own? "You can call me Isabella. This man here will only call me Belle..."

Levi scowled, shaking his head. "Thought we had a thing going, Belle. Go back inside so we can resume what we were going to enjoy."

"I'm sorry, love." I walked back into the house, leaving Levi with the man. Fake flirting seemed so difficult... but so... easy?