Chapter 6: Boss Man

Levi's POV

I hated walking here, the knowledge that he was there continued to pain me. How I often felt I was indebted to him. He thought I owed him based on how he treated me when I was younger. Who does that to a kid?

"Levi," Hanji nudged me a bit as we were escorted into a living room, "where are we?"

"We're-"

Cut off as soon as the doors opened, there he was. He doesn't even look old, considering he should be over 50 by now. A few strands of gray here and there, but he still looks like he's in his late 30s. That menacing grin he gave once his gray eyes landed on me. I knew he was scheming something. 

"If it ain't the little rat- yer back."

"Yeah, I am, Kenny."

"Kenny?" Hanji whispered once more. I had to nudge her gently in the side to get her to shut up. Nevertheless, Kenny heard her and began to walk towards her with his thundering footsteps.

"And... who do we have 'ere?" He looks at me with a chuckle before gripping onto Hanji's chin. She squealed in surprise, but didn't make any other noise afterwards. "What's yer name, woman?"

"I-Isabella..."

"Isabella who?"

"Isabella McFarland. I-I'm a former police recruit."

Kenny laughed it off, scowling towards me. "Former police recruit? Levi, what kind of women are you into? Police recruit? Why are yer here for? Detaining my nephew here?"

"H-He's your nephew?" Hanji gave a weird look towards me, but I tried to wave it off. "I-I didn't know... s-sir..."

"Well, she's compliant enough."

My eyes rolled as I smacked Kenny's hand off of Hanji. "Leave her be. It's me you wanted, isn't it? As I heard, you went off to find and retrieve me, huh? Well, seems like I haven't been able to come out until now. Thanks to her. So back off of her. I'll make sure she fits right in."

Kenny rose his hands, attempting to stop me from speaking further. "She's kinda pretty, ain't she?"

"Back off of her."

"Protective-"

"She's mine." Quickly, I grabbed Hanji by her wrist and gripped her tightly. "Don't touch her anymore. She's mine. Now, let's talk. More so about what you have planned, Kenny. You want me involved? Get me involved. And hands off my team. I hear you've been trying to take control over them."

He chuckles, sitting down in a chair. "For your team, I like them so much. I wish they were mine. But their loyalty is to you. I wish I had that. And for that girl, Isabella... interesting. She looks... familiar, but then again, a lot of people look familiar. Now, speaking of plans, Levi... unless you can give us the location of Dr. Hanji Alexia Zoe, you are no help to me."

"I spoke to one of your men earlier- she went into Witness Protection?"

"Of course she did. So now, I need to figure out how to crack the code on the serum of hers. My team will slowly but surely make it." Kenny took a few steps back with a heavy sigh. "I'm not going to risk more people to go in and retrieve her. Crafty woman."

"So what are you going to do? Wait her out?"

Then, that gleeful smirk of his appeared. "Well, I was planning on assassinating everyone in her unit. Ugh, wait, no, everyone relating to her is under that same protection. But... there is one person who isn't under that same protection."

"Which is who?"

"Why do you want to know, Levi?"

My shoulders shrugged a bit. "Thought I could help."

"I can get him handled. Right now, go and take your pathetic pacifist team out back. Find me a scientist or find me something to help crack the code at this serum. Damn that scientist." Kenny scoffed before leaving the room. "Levi, nice to have ye back though. Say hi to yer damn mother."

The doors slammed shut behind him. Mom... I haven't thought of her for a long time...

Everyone soon cleared out of the room- all except Hanji. She stayed by my side. Then, she took my arm, looking down into my eyes. "Levi, your mom is around? Is it bad to ask if I could meet her?"

"No, you can't meet her. She's gone."

"Oh... I'm sorry, Levi..." She says, taking my hand. "I know what it's like to lose something... so, I'm very sorry..."

"Whatever..." I scoffed, attempting to hold back my tears. "Let's just go... I'll find a place for you... like a job in here. If you want to get to your goal, I need to help you. Got it?"

Hanji smiled, nodding her head. "Okay then."

"But you're staying with me in the house. That's for certain. Follow me closely."