Chapter 16: Broken

Hanji's POV

5 months later...

Tossing and turning in bed, I couldn't sleep. Levi was away to his uncle for some reason. Before he left, Levi told me and I quote, "This is about you. Don't ask any more questions." And he left without a second word. Eren was outside of the door, guarding it with his life. Meanwhile, everyone else was around the house. 

"Ugh..." I groaned, screaming into the pillow. "Why does it seem I'm under arrest?!" 

My eyes closed for a bit, and I must've passed out from all the screaming. Once I woke up, I heard muffled voices. Sometimes, I pretend to be deaf to ignore my surroundings. But this time, I didn't want to be deaf. Instead, I walked to the door and placed my ear on it to listen the ruckus. 

"Are you really doing it, Levi?"

"Yeah. I know I didn't want her to be near him, but he has me in a corner."

"Wait, I don't understand. You were so adamant to not have Isabella be alone with the boss. But the second he offered her a position to help test and figure out how to make replicas of the scientist's serum, you suddenly drop the original idea. Why?"

Levi was silent for a few seconds before replying to the poor Eren. If only he knew the truth... but I know well that no one needs to know who what my true identity is. It would only put everyone in danger. Especially Levi and his group. They've been nothing but kind to me. Especially Mikasa... helping slip birth control pills into my grasp.

"It's none of your business, Eren. When the time's right, I'll make it your business to know. For now, this needs to happen." I could hear the doorknob turning and I jump back in surprise. "Oh, Eren? And I need you to be honest with me. No matter what."

"What is it?"

Levi took another pause. "To you, does Isabella seem... different?"

"Different? What do you mean?"

"It's nothing then. I thought I was imagining things. And just to be sure, you said she was taking a nap for... over an hour?"

"Just about, Levi," Eren said with a cautious tone, "She was screaming earlier about how she felt like she was being on house-arrest or something along those lines. Then she went quiet. I did open the door to make sure she was okay- after 10 minutes of her screams. She should still be sleeping."

"Thanks."

Quickly, I jumped into bed, trying to cover my body with Levi's blankets. It seemed my tricks did not fool the mastermind.

"You're a terrible actor."

"You mean, actress." I gave a soft smile, turning on my side to look at him. No flowers in his arms. Man... I wish he even gave something to me. Right now, we just seem to be no one but friends with benefits. "Anyways, we need to talk. Starting with what you overheard."

"How did-."

"I told you," Levi walked over to me, "you're a terrible actor. Sorry, actress." He had corrected himself before sighing. "Which part did you overhear? No need to lie. Just tell me the last thing you heard. I know for sure you know I asked if you were seemingly different."

Sighing myself, I took a deep breath and told him. "You're letting me go to the boss and work alongside the serum. But Eren's right about something. You never told me about why you didn't want me alone. Why is that? I know why you're letting me go towards the serum- but why do I need protection? Has he found something out or-."

"It's none of your business, Hanji."

"It clearly is my business since it involves me."

Levi growled a bit, beginning his little confession hour. "Well... I have to say this... months ago, he threatened me. He wanted you alone. So I refused any possible way for you to be alone and get kidnapped. This could be a trap..."

"Definitely a trap. But I have to go to him, right?"

"Yes."

I nodded my head, understanding the whole thing. All this house arrest things... just to keep me safe. I guess being friends with benefits with Levi had its perks. "Well... when do I go to him?"

"Whenever he asks for you. But I will come with you when he does call you."

"And... Levi?"

"What?"

"Once I have access to the serum and steal it back... will you escort me out of here? I mean, I would retreat to your house, but... what happens right after that? Do I go back out into the world and... never see you again?"

Levi was silent. 

"Honestly, I do want to see you again. We've been sleeping together and-."

"It's safer... if I don't see you again." His face seemed so monotone- I know he wanted to cry as he gave me his answers. Even my eyes began to burn with the truth. "You're the scientist- the most valuable asset to the people in society. You're needed there, not down here. This is where outcasts like me stay. We're in different statuses, Hanji. You can fake being in one class while being in the other."

"I'll miss you when the time comes, Levi."

"I know you would."

He went to go and shower, and I followed shortly. "What else is going on in your head, Levi?" I asked him, tugging on his sleeves. "Earlier, you asked if I was acting weird or just... different than usual. Can you please tell me why you would think that?"

"Well," he began, kissing my forehead, "are you feeling different than usual?"

"Not that I know of, no. Well, I've been skipping on my periods again, but that's normal."

"Oh... okay then."

"Aren't you going to tell me then? Please? I'll keep begging!"

"It's just..." Levi sighed, turning his head slightly away from me. "One month ago, when we had sex that night... I didn't tell you about it... because I thought I was overreacting. And I didn't want to give hope or hurt you if I asked you that question..."

"Which is what?"

Levi tugged on my ponytail, having me look down into his gray eyes. "If you were pregnant."

"Come on, why would you-."

A scowl came onto his face, alongside a pink blush. "Hanji, you didn't notice, but I did... it was because the condom broke. And I didn't know what to do after that."