Chapter 9: Deal

Levi's POV

I walked into the police station, holding one of Hanji's pictures I took of her. Of course, I had her permission, but the next few parts weren't part of her plan. I had to do this- to ensure she was safe from Kenny. If he finds out that she's the scientist... I don't know what he would do to her... I need to protect her...

"Hey- it's that Ackerman!" Once I heard that, I braced myself from getting arrested on the spot. "Get him!"

So many people grabbed me... Hanji's picture fell out of my pocket. "Let go!" I grunted, trying to get everyone off of me. But they pinned me to the ground, having a face of anger. I didn't do anything- oh wait... I had Hanji take off of her listening device and took her off the streets without telling anyone. Yeah... I remember that...

Soon, that Erwin Smith guy walked in with a gleam in his eyes. "Well, well, he came back." He crouches down, flicking my arm with his finger. "Where's our scientist, Levi Ackerman? Where is she?"

"Safe." I glared at the photo. "I need you to do something to keep her safer."

"Safer? Where is she?"

"She's with us in the Fallen Angels." For some reason, I smirked at them. "If she wanted to retrieve her serum once more, then... she had to do it herself. I would aid her in every possible way. But the problem is... the boss is searching for her true identity. Help me conceal her by putting her face through the police records as a cadet or something. Not the scientist he's looking for."

"He's looking for her? She's right there though-"

I chuckled, laying on the ground with defeat. "We changed how she looked. The photo there is how she looks now. I took it with consent from Hanji. Quickly. If you want her alive... help me keep her alive by doing what I told you to do."

"I need to hear from her, Ackerman."

"If the boss catches you talking to her, he'll kill her. Not just any kill, Erwin. He'll have her executed. You hear me? Executed. Help me..."

Erwin picked up the photo, sighing. "Let him go then. We'll take care of this. What have you said about her cover down there, Ackerman? Anything we need to know? Or should we just make it up?"

"Let's make it simple." I scowled once the officers took their filthy hands off of me. "Her mom is Janice McFarland. Her father unknown. An only child. Give her whatever scores. It doesn't matter. Just make it seem... believable. Believable for Hanji. Ensure word that Hanji is in Witness Protection. Please..."

Erwin sighed, clicking his tongue. "Yeah, yeah... got it. Leave now."

"Where's my other teammates?"

"Who?"

"Farlan and Isabel. I believe I made a deal with Hanji when we first met. I haven't been able to get them back from your custody. When can I get them back? I'm not leaving them to rot in there."

"You'll get them back once Hanji returns safe and sound."

"It won't be like that for months-."

"Then they will stay in jail until Hanji is back in our arms." Erwin gave a wink, chuckling with his smug smiles. "Bring her back quickly and our deal will be held up. This is... let's say our insurance. I want her back safe and sound."

Scowling, I nodded my head. Another stalemate. Fine. Let's play that game. Even if I asked to see them, Erwin would shut me down. Why were they always like that? All I wished was for me to see them once more. We were separated and I could never see them again... 

"Leave now, Ackerman. I want her safe and sound."

"I will come back to get the profile that you made up for Hanji. We need to make sure Hanji's story would match up correctly. Unless, you want her to screw up and she would get killed." Then, there was that smirk on my face instead. "I have to see you again."

"Give us Hanji."

"Unfortunately, I can't. Remember what I said." With that, I brushed the dust off of me. Turning around, and I walked out of the station. "I'll see you in a couple of days, Erwin Smith. Can't wait to see you then."

Before I marched out, I hear the one word that made me smile brightly. "Bastard."