Chapter 35: Twists

Hanji's POV

"No, I won't ever give you that serum, Caven." I scowled, having my eyes continue to dart towards Raven. Her crying had died down, thankfully. But I'm scared she might start crying to be either in her mother's arms... or in Levi's arms. "I don't even know why I should be down here. I've forgotten the-."

"No, stop it." Caven whispered something to someone, and they clicked the TVs on. I didn't realize it the first time around, but there were 3 of them hung all over the walls. Instead of showing the news, it showed these camera views. All filmed from their chests. "Do you know where they are?"

"I... wait... that's my lab! What are you-."

Caven held up this sort of detonator in her hand and a smirk on her face. "Oh, yes... Dr. Hanji Zoe... all of your life's work is there, correct? There was another work you've been working on... the first one... what was it about? Paralyzing people? Kenny had mentioned it to me a few times, but he was the one who broke into your lab without precautions. I wonder... how did you know about it?"

"I was sent a warning."

"By who?"

"I didn't know who it was."

Caven raised her eyebrow, chuckling. "Was it hand-written or typed up? I doubt it was Levi, as he was in jail." Caven then went to her phone, scrolling through before she got to a picture. She then showed me the screen, and I was surprised. The same hand-writing. "It was me, Dr. Hanji Zoe. I saw a few flaws in his plan, and despite him rejecting, I decided to take things into my own hands."

"You did this?"

"Of course. You owe me. Now, I know, you have mix feelings, right? Here I am, ready to blow your little lab sky-high. And I'm asking for a favor. I can take either path, you know... would you do me a favor-."

"Hell... no."

"Even if your daughter is-."

Standing up to my feet, I heard the clicking noises of the guns around me. "Lay a hand on my daughter, and I will destroy you. I only gave her up so she can be taken care of. I needed her diaper to be changed earlier- it's not my fault I was kidnapped with Raven after I just fed her."

"Oh, it was just some perfect timing, Dr. Hanji Zoe."

"Give me my daughter back."

Caven stood up from her chair, staring into my eyes. "I will give her back after I hear this from you. I don't harm kids. But I will keep her hostage until you give me an answer. Agree and help me, and everything will remain untouched. If not, everything will be wrecked into pieces, and we can continue our studies."

"Continue your studies?"

Caven had a little smirk. "After Kenny found out who you were, he decided to take a small sample of the serum. You didn't retrieve all of it. We wanted to give you a chance, Dr. Zoe. But it seems that you won't work with us... I will carry out Kenny's plans."

"What about my daughter?"

"Oh, she's free to go. You can't stop us, Dr. Zoe. We're close to duplicating the serum. Lyria, give the doctor her daughter back. She's free to go. We already have our answer."

Once Raven was settled in my arms once more, I saw her smile with joy. Cradling her in my arms, I was escorted out. I didn't fight, and it seemed Caven had kept her word. Though the explosions on the TV screens were echoing in my head. Moblit... please... I hope everyone is safe...

Out of the building, I heard a familiar cry, "Ah- Hanji?!" As I turned, I saw Eren with his smile wide. Next to him was Mikasa. I wonder where the others were. "You're down here? I didn't get a notice. Where's- oh- is that your daughter?!"

I smiled, trying to confirm what he was saying, but the guards pushed me forward and into the van. 

"Wait- Hanji?! Hanji!" Eren tried to run towards me, but it was too late. I was pushed into the van with Raven letting out a cry. "Hanji!"

"Please, let me tell him that I'm at least alright!" Panic began to fill my bones as Raven cried slightly. I pulled her close to my chest, feeling my breaths get short. "Please... else he would do anything to stop this van."

"Can't let anything to chance, Doctor. Orders were to take you from your home, and take you back to your home. Nothing more, nothing less. Now, shut your baby up or I'll make it quiet."

Raven continued her little cry as my arms wrapped around her. Pulling her away from the man, I shot him a deadly glare. "Come near my daughter and I will hurt you. She's a child- of course she's going to cry. She's scared. After all you kidnapped both of us."

He scowled before starting the van up. By this time, Eren was already at the van, slamming his fists. "Hey- Hanji! Hanji!" Eren was left behind, and I felt so bad... Eren... Levi, if I see you again, please help me find some sort of gift to apologize to him. He was doing what he does best as a protector. Maybe Eren and the rest of the group can see Raven while Levi is down and working.