Chapter 37: Deserving Happiness

Hanji's POV

"Is... is he okay...?" Raven was asleep as I rocked her in her little portable car seat. The rest of Levi's group was sitting down with their hands either fidgeting with whatever they had on them or their feet tapping the ground. "Please, tell me that he's okay." My voice began to waver as I got no answer from one of the nurses working on Levi.

The nurse hesitated before the operating surgeon walked in. "You can go, I got this covered." She cleared her throat and spoke with a neutral face. "The surgery was a little difficult, but luckily for Mr. Ackerman, the bullet is out and he should be recovering now." 

A sigh of relieve left my heart once the news had risen. "Thank you."

"He needs to rest on his right side and never on his back. We have warned him to stay off of his left side and if he's sitting up, he needs to use the force on his right. But he cannot strain himself. Talk to the nurse for the room number he's been moved to."

"Thank you."

*   *   *

Bang!

Before I knew it, Levi had gripped onto my shoulder, shielding us from the noise. Levi fell limply on the ground, groaning in pain. The man who kidnapped me jumped into the van and drove off. Raven cried because of the surprise and of the noise. Levi gritted his teeth, struggling to get up.

"Levi- Levi, are you okay?!" I screeched as I tried to find his phone. My phone was somewhere inside the house, and I panicked. I didn't want to leave him there with the pool of blood growing larger by the second. "Levi, I'm getting help- Raven, please..."

She continued to cry as I finally found Levi's phone. Clicking onto the emergency dialer, I finally got help. Raven wouldn't stop her crying, no matter how many times I've tried to soothe her. Could I blame her? The noise startled the innocent infant and her father wasn't moving or responding to me. 

All I hoped was for Levi to be okay... and for help to come quickly.

*   *   *

A quiet knock at the door, and I peeked my head in. Levi was conscious, laying on his right side. His eyes darted to the door as a weak smile grew on his face. "Oh... if it isn't my dear scientist and the princess."

I chuckled, waving Eren and the others inside. "That's not just all. Everyone else is-."

"Levi-Bro!" Isabel pounced into the room, leaping like a frog to Levi's side. When she leapt, she accidentally elbowed Levi's wounded shoulder, forcing him to curl up into a tiny ball of pain. "I-I'm sorry! Forgive me!"

"Isabel," Farlan's arms wrapped around my waist, scowling with a serious look, "you need to keep your voice down. Not only are you disturbing the other patients, but Raven's finally simmering down."

"Simmering down?" Levi questioned, grunting to see his daughter. "Where is she? What happened?"

As soon as I walked to Levi's side, Eren and his tiny crew of friends popped into the room. Caressing Levi's cheeks gave a sense of relief to me, for some odd reason. Then, I unbuckled Raven from her little prison, cradling her in my arms.

"Hanji, what happened?"

Raven cooed softly, using her chubby fingers to grab at Levi's nose. "When the guy shot at us... and you got hurt... you didn't squish Raven, thankfully, but you did scare her. She screamed over and over... and the noise could've scared her too." Levi had rose an eyebrow, opening his mouth to say something. "Don't worry, the doctors checked her out. She's fine... she's fine..."

"Are you sure?"

I nodded, smiling and kissing Levi's cheek. "Yes, I'm sure. She calmed down a few minutes before you got out of surgery... almost like... she knew you were going to be okay..."

Levi scoffed, tilting his head slightly to Raven. "Of course I'm going to be okay... for one, I'm your father, and two... I'm an Ackerman. I'm hard to kill... so don't worry, my little bird." Once Levi said that, Raven cooed gently. There must be something between Levi and his daughter...

I...

I want to test it out. 

Maybe one more child?

"I'm glad you're both safe..." Levi smiled softly, groaning. "Think I can convince them to get me off my side? Eren, help me up-."

"No!" I shouted, zipping it up immediately. "Levi," I began, but much slowly, "you need to rest. Your shoulder needs to heal before you start putting pressure on it. Which means... no sleeping on your back or using any force on your left side."

Levi groaned, shaking his head a bit. "For how long?"

"Ask the doctor. I'm the scientist."

"Conduct me an estimate."

"Estimate?" Within the room, I could hear a few of the kids snickering and laughing. Even I had to withhold my laughter. "Levi, in scientific terms that we use in the lab... what you're referring to is an educated guess."

"Just guess, four-eyes."

"Mocking my eyesight, midget?"

The room finally broke the tension as everyone laughed. Even Levi began laughing at me. "You're calling me names like that? Do you really think of me as a midget?" My sides ached as I nodded my head. "Hanji, you know for sure that there's one part of me that's not a midget-."

"Levi! You're daughter is right there!" Farlan scowled, lightly smacking our arms. "Shame on you. Are you both capable of being parents then?!" Playfully, he took Raven out of my arms. "Shame on the both of you." 

"Give her back," I chuckled, unable to keep my smile in place. 

Raven cooed gently, and Farlan quickly jumped into Father Mode for some odd reason. "I know," he begins, kissing Raven's forehead. "They're quite meanies, huh? Oh-."

Everyone paused when the one guy walked into the room. Farlan cradled the infant in his arms as Erwin popped up. "Excuse me," he says with a weary face, "but... one of the guys you wanted to be brought in... you know, for the signing thing... he's dead. Aaron Pierre is dead. He has no other remaining family members."