Chapter 8: Common Criminals

Hanji's POV

There was nothing to do as I waited down here. All I could do was read the books I found on the bookshelf and eat. Levi didn't want me to wander willy-nilly. Said it was a precaution- just in case if Kenny had caught me. And with what Levi's team told me days ago... I really had to be careful.

"Hanji..." Levi whispered through the door as he knocked on it. "My uncle's here. Get dressed- quickly. Don't ask any questions. Just... hurry."

"Will do." Quickly, I did just that. Wearing a black blouse and some black pants to match. I almost wanted to put my hair up- as I usually do... but this time, I held my urges back. I tossed the rubber band on the bed and went out the door. Levi was waiting.

Opening my mouth to greet them, Levi simply raised his finger to his lips. He takes my hand, leading me out into the living room area. "She's here- just like you wanted, Kenny." 

"Took yer long enough." Outstretching his hand out towards me, he gave that crazy grin. "Come with me, my dear. I have something to show you." My muscles then turned stiff as I saw that. His nickname towards me... I would prefer it if Levi had called me that. "Isabella, hurry it up. Don't test me."

Quickly, I took his hand. Then, I glanced towards Levi. He gave that low, approving glare at me. "Not a scratch on her, Kenny. If I find one scratch on her, I'll-"

"Levi, you note every little scratch and scar on her body? I never expected you to be like that... you're truly growing up into a man. Yer mother would've hated the fact you're sleeping with a gal like this... night after night-"

A red blush appeared on his pale cheeks. "Shut up." A stern tone to brush off the blush. "Be quick with her- I want her back in one piece."

"She'll be intact. I just... want a little talk."

"Then let me be on my way. I'll be back within the hour." Levi quickly turned towards Eren, snapping with his sharp words. "Keep an eye out for Isabella. Note everything about her until I get back."

"Hey-"

Levi glared back at me with his silver eyes, scowling softly. "I want to make sure of things, Isabella. Don't hate me for ensuring your safety." From Kenny, I hear a soft chuckle. Like he was... done with this. Don't know why I leaned forward and kissed Levi passionately. "Isa..."

I smiled, walking towards Kenny. "I'm forever loyal to you, Levi..." I then turned back to Kenny, sighing. "Let's hurry, okay? I want to get back here as soon as possible..."

"He seriously has you under his spell, huh? Guess I underestimated the little rat." In the end, we both walked out without a second thought.

*   *   *

"Isabella, what do yer think of this city?" Kenny asked me as he escorts me outside. "Love it? Hate it? Tell me yer honest opinion, girl. We have time to kill. I like watching the little rat squirm. I think it's intriguing."

"You think watching him worry for me is funny?" That's messed up! I wanted to yell at him for a lot of things, but I kept it to myself. I heeded Levi's words of warning. In order to survive... I can't go off on this man who done so many wrongs.

"I'm not quite sure of how I think of this place. It's full of... disgusting people..."

"Disgusting...?" Kenny scoffs, laughing softly. "Levi must be rubbing off of yer- oh wait, he kinda is, isn't he, Isabella?"

"Yes..."

"I'm just curious. After all, that is my nephew. I may not have raised him properly, but he is still mine. My nephew... the path he's taken now... yer know, Levi would've killed anyone when he were just a young'un."

"Kill?" My eyebrows rose when I heard that. It was plausible... after those murder charges on Levi.. I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually because of Levi. But he leads a team that is full of pacifists. No violence... but according to Eren, they will act violently if they needed to.

"Yes, ma'am."

Kenny chuckled smugly, pushing me against the wall. I shrieked with fear, but I tried staring him down in his eyes. How it reminded me so much of Levi's. Except... Levi's were softer when they met me. Kenny was metal...

"I... I don't want to believe it, Kenny. Levi is completely-"

"Listen here, Isabella... Levi has a side you don't see... which I'm not proud of. I don't see that side of him often... I wish I did. I love it when I see the fires of hatred and destruction in his eyes. Not those pesky soft ones of a optimistic boy. I want him to destroy the world that he was born into."

"I like this side of him... the side that is tamed and calm. Not this destruction side of him. And I would do anything to keep him this happy..."

Kenny laughed, taking his arm off of me. "Happy... you really do care for him, huh? The rat shouldn't have deserved you. But... it might prove something... maybe he might start a line with you..."

"A... a line...?"

"This doesn't concern you, Isabella."

"Then why-"

Kenny scoffed, pushing me away. "So... tell me... why did you want to join our team? I rather not hear it from Levi. I want to hear it from you, my dear Isabella. He covers for you way too much... so I just wanted to make sure."

Sighing, I went with the basic reasoning... more so, similar to why Levi's team went for Fallen Angels and left society. "I didn't like my job at my post... so when I heard of Fallen Angels, I wanted to go and side with them. When I saw Levi, I wanted to gain his trust... so I did favors for him. He finally trusted me... and I was able to come down..."

"So... that's how..."

"Do you doubt it?"

"We'll see." Kenny groaned, walking back from the entrance we came from. "Let's hurry. Levi's bound to get worried for his ratette."

"Ratette?"

"Don't question me..."