i should've told you

hi, me again. this chapter features cady having a meltdown due to sensory overload, so if that could be triggering for you please avoid this bit. i based this on a personal experience so if you are also a person who experiences sensory overload and things are different for you, kindly Do Not Come For Me. also, cadnis has only been dating for about a month and a half here, so they're still deep in it. anyway, enjoy!

——-
"Ooh, Jayjay, what's that one?" Cady asks, dragging Janis and Damian by the hand towards yet another painting. Janis is honestly convinced Cady is having more fun here than she is; hauling her and Damian around and asking a thousand questions every second, but she happily answers what she can.

"Caddy, darling, you know I love you, but my delicate hands cannot take this kind of manhandling," Damian whines dramatically, pulling gently out of her grip. "I saw a place that looked like it had food back that way, do either of you want anything?" He asks, already backing towards it.

"I'm good. Cads?" Janis responds. Cady doesn't, still lost in the artwork around her. "Cads. Caddy. Cady. Baby." The last name finally gets Cady's attention as she suddenly snaps back into the real world.

"Huh? Oh, no, I'm good. Thanks Damian,"
Cady says, seemingly still in a daze. That's strange for her, she's usually much more alert. Janis looks at her oddly but decides not to mention it.

She rolls her eyes as Damian shoots both of them finger guns and continues dancing away, putting her arms around Cady's waist and peppering kisses up the column of her neck, ending with one on her cheek.

"Are you having fun, Peanut?"

"Uhhuh," Cady nods, leaning back into her embrace. "I love listening to you talk about this kind of stuff. Your eyes just light up every time you know something I've asked about. It's adorable." Janis flushes scarlet, tucking her face deeper into Cady's shoulder.

They stand there a while longer before Cady grabs Janis' hand again, much gentler this time, and leads them to where Damian is standing dejectedly.

"What's up, Dame?"

"No food. But I took about twelve maps and some free souvenir magnets instead," He says, brandishing the maps and fanning himself with them.

"Christ, dude, how did you even- never mind." Janis mutters, shaking her head at his antics. "Anyway, are you guys ready to go?"

"Ugh, yes, please. This was fun but I've had too much Da Vinci and not enough Dicaprio for one day, thank you very much. Also I demand to be fed so we will be stopping by that McDonalds on the way."

"I'm ready to go too, I left my allergy pills at home and I can already feel the pollen," Cady says, ending with a violent sneeze that prompts a giggle from Janis. "I brought four different medicines with me in case someone got hurt but left the ones I was most likely to need at home." It's nearly April now, so her allergies are in full force and will be for several weeks, much to her dismay.

——-
Cady feels off. She's much more on edge than she was a few minutes ago, and hyper-aware of everything going on around her. She takes deep breaths and tries to process everything as best she can, realizing she's over-sensitized from her time at the museum. She's never been great at realizing when input gets to be too much for her until it's too late. Luckily, she'll be home soon. All they have to do is follow Damian through the drive through and then she can go home and spend some time in her quiet room with her weighted blanket.

She's not expecting Janis to pull into a parking space in the lot at McDonalds, and looks around confusedly before realizing this McDonalds doesn't have a drive through. This was not in the plan. She doesn't realize she's basically locked in her seat until Janis pokes her head in through the window.