someone gets hurt

hello dear readers! welcome back :) this is a request fill for Aubrey_Plaza_Stole_HappiestSeason and Hayeena on Ao3. enjoy!
—————-

"Janis! Janis!" Cady calls, rushing up to her at the end of the school day.

"Babe, you good?" Janis asks worriedly as her girlfriend barrels into her.

Cady nods rapidly. "Yes! Principal Duvall just told me I'm the valedictorian!"

Janis gasps, wrapping her in a hug. "You are? Oh my god, baby! That's great! I'm so proud of you."

"Thank you," Cady giggles from in her embrace. "Are you staying to paint today?"

"Yeah, you want to come?" Janis asks, plotting in her head. Cady has worked so hard this year, she deserves to be valedictorian, arbitrary as the title is. Janis should do something.

"Always," Cady grins, leaning up for a kiss and taking her hand to lead them to the art rooms. "How is Damian?"

"He's fine, it's just a sprain. Texted me earlier high off his ass on painkillers though, that was funny," Janis chuckles. "Said there was a dragon in his mashed potatoes."

"Janis! Don't laugh at him, you know he has a phobia of broken bones. He's lucky it was just a sprain. Poor guy," Cady chides.

"He fell down the stairs! I'm allowed to laugh," Janis defends.

They'd decided to have lunch in the auditorium today, just for fun. Damian had finished eating early and showed off some complicated choreography from his college audition cuts. He'd absolutely nailed them, but during his bows and basking in the applause of his friends, had fallen down the stairs and sprained his foot. He'd fallen into a panic attack, thinking he had broken it, and was taken to the hospital almost immediately.

"He's your best friend! I'm gonna tell him you laughed," Cady threatens.

Janis snorts. "You little narc. Go ahead, he laughed at me when I broke my tailbone when we went roller skating."

"Hmph. Who are you texting?"

Janis had pulled out her phone to text Regina. She loves throwing parties and giving gifts, she might have some ideas for something Janis could do to surprise Cady.

"Uh, my mom. I actually can't stay today, uhm... Jules is... sick. I have to go help my mom take care of her," Janis lies through her teeth.

"Oh. Okay. Do you need me to get her anything?" Cady asks, miraculously not having noticed. She struggles reading people sometimes.

"No, don't worry about it, baby. It's just a cold, but she gets really whiny and stuff whenever she's sick," Janis explains. That's true, at least.

"Poor thing. Tell her I hope she feels better soon. I'm going to go visit Damian," Cady says, popping up on her tippy toes to kiss her goodbye.

"Okay, baby. Tell him I said hi," Janis responds, kissing her back. "I love you."

"I love you too. Good luck," Cady says back.

"Thanks," Janis chuckles.

————-

"Hi, Dame," Cady says sadly as she knocks on the door of his hospital room.

"Hey, Cads!" Damian says.

Cady chuckles as she comes to sit by his bed. "You sound better."

"I got, like, hella painkillers a while ago. Went on some fun daydreams," Damian replies. "Not high anymore though."