and all the devils are here

hello everyone happy wednesday!! i hope you're having a great one :)

this is finally a request fill for an anon on tumblr who asked for veronica coming to evanston after the events of heathers (which for plot reasons happened in her junior year instead of senior year). i've had this one for a while (like. more than a year oops) and i'm so glad it's finally done and ready to be shared :)) and thank you to my beloved for helping me proofread it <33

but it is a dark one!! tw for
ptsd/general mental illness
flashbacks
mentioned self harm
death
mentioned violence
abusive relationships
divorce/child custody discussions
and as always if i've missed anything please let me know so i can add it in !

enjoy!

—————

"Are you okay, mpendwa?" Cady asks worriedly, looking at her girlfriend's pale face. Janis startles slightly, snapping out of her daze and back to their weekly coffee with Damian.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

Cady frowns in concern and checks her forehead with a kiss. "You don't have a fever."

"I'm okay, Cads," Janis chuckles. "I'm not sick."

"But you're acting weird," Damian accuses, pointing his straw at her. "Spill."

"It's nothing," Janis mumbles.

"It's clearly not nothing, love," Cady says worriedly. "You can tell us."

"You sure?" Janis asks sheepishly. "It's... kind of heavy, I don't wanna bring the mood down, or whatever."

"Noooo, of course you can tell us," Cady says, hugging Janis' arm. Damian nods eagerly around his mouthful of latte.

Janis takes a deep breath to prepare herself for their reaction. "Okay, um... I have a twin."

Damian does a genuine spit take, choking slightly before spitting his coffee on the ground. "You have a what?! And you didn't tell me?!"

"I didn't know! My mom only told me yesterday," Janis replies. It's silent for a long moment, the tension palpable. "Caddy?"

"Sorry," Cady says, shaking her head in an attempt to clear it, like an Etch-A-Sketch. "But... what?"

"I have an identical twin," Janis explains quietly. "Our parents divorced when we were a year old. My dad took her and moved to Ohio, and my mom kept me."

"Oh my god, that's why we were never allowed to watch The Parent Trap!" Damian gasps. "It all makes sense now!"

"So... why did your mom tell you now?" Cady asks. "Surely it would be easier to keep this up if you two never knew about each other?"

"She's... um... she's moving here," Janis replies. Damian chokes again. "She went through... something, last year. My dad decided she needed a fresh start, and to be with Mama, I guess. So she's moving here next week."

"Oh," Cady says. "How do you feel about that?"

"I dunno," Janis mumbles. "I only found out she existed yesterday, I haven't really processed it yet."

Cady hums understandingly and nods. "I'm sure it'll be fine."

"Yeah, she's just, like, another you. She'll be awesome," Damian replies.

"Technically, I'm another her," Janis chuckles. "She's older."

"By how much?" Damian asks.

"Three minutes."