the terrible horrible no good very bad day II

hello everyone happy wednesday! i have a sequel for y'all today oooooh. this was requested ages ago by @OnlyHere4TheFandoms and i finally managed to get it done so yay! thank you for the request :)

tw for
homophobia
anxiety stuff
and as always if i've missed something please let me know so i can add it!

enjoy!
originally drafted on december 26, 2022

————-

"Hi, girls!" Janis says as the twins come running towards her after their day at school with big poster boards rolled up and poking out of their backpacks. Janis nearly gets one to the eye as she hugs her babies and asks, "How was school?"

"We got a... um... a protect," Layla says.

"Protect?" Janis asks. "Oh, a project?"

"Yeah," Layla says with an eager nod.

"That sounds fun," Janis says. "What's the matter, Leo?"

"Ms. Cotten says we gotta say stuff in front of the whole entire class," Leo says grumpily. Janis frowns and gently strokes her head.

"That can be scary," she acknowledges. "But you can do it."

Leo shrugs and kicks a loose pebble off the sidewalk. Janis tries not to worry too hard about her daughter and gently takes their hands to lead them to the car.

"Let's go home and we'll see what this project is all about, hm?"

"Is Mama gonna be home?" Leo asks, looking up at her.

"What, your Mommy's not good enough for ya?" Janis jokes. "She's at work, she'll be home soon."

"Mmkay."

—-

The twins have their snack and some screen time once they get home. Janis is starting to prepare dinner when they hear the door open and Cady calls, "I'm home!"

"Mama!" the twins both call back, running down the hall to greet her. Janis pauses her chopping and follows them with a smile.

"Hi, girls!" Cady greets, wrapping them both in tight hugs and kissing their foreheads. "Oh, I missed you so much! How was school?"

"We hafta do a... uh... Mommy, I forget the word," Layla says.

"A project, honey," Janis chuckles.

"Oh yeah! A project," Layla says. Cady laughs and gives her a tight cuddle.

"Well, that sounds like fun," she says. "What is your project about?"

"I dunno," Layla shrugs as Cady lets her go and gives Leo a squeeze. Cady laughs and kicks off her shoes before she goes to greet her wife.

"Hi," she whispers, pressing up for a sweet kiss. Janis holds her around the waist and returns it.

"Hey," she whispers back.

"I missed you."

"I missed you too," Janis grins. Cady smiles and kisses her nose before she leads her family down the hallway.

"Let's see what this project is, hm?" she asks the twins as she perches on the counter next to where Janis is working.

The twins both go running to fetch their backpacks and give them to Cady to root through. Cady pulls the poster board out of Leo's backpack and a piece of paper out of her take-home folder to read out loud.

"'Dear grownups, this week we're beginning our diversity unit in our classroom. The children will put together their posters with information about themselves, where they live, and what their families look like. They will present them to the class starting next Monday. I strongly encourage parents and guardians to attend as well if at all possible. If there are any concerns or questions in relation to the project please let me know, sincerely, Ms. Cotten."