dance with you

happy wednesday friends! here's a quick little thing about cadnis' senior prom. enjoy!
-
"Jan, calm down, you'll think of something," Damian comforts, patting her back gently as Janis lies face-down on her bed and lets out a groan.

"Damian, prom is in a month! And it has to be perfect, it's our senior year," Janis huffs into her pillow.

"You'll think of something perfect. You could... fill her locker with ping pong balls that say 'prom' and then when she opens it and they all fall out say 'I finally got the balls to ask you to prom'?" Damian suggests.

Janis chuckles at that, finally poking her head out. "Is that how Elijah asked you?"

"Maybe," Damian mumbles. "I thought it would at least make you smile."

"You got me, then," Janis says. "Ugh, why is this so hard? I had an easier time with the ACT."

"Feelings."

"Gross. I don't want 'em anymore," Janis sighs.

"Just think of stuff she's into. Like animals or math. You can borrow Pippa if you need to." Damian says as Janis leans against his shoulder.

"Animals... math... I can probably work with that," Janis says, a hint of a plan forming in her mind.

"There's my Janjan. You go Janjan. Ask the girl you're already dating to prom," Damian teases.

"Shut up! You know Caddy loves those tacky promposal things you see on YouTube, I gotta do something dorky," Janis says. Cady really does love them, she gets so excited every time someone at school gets promposed to, the tackier the better.

"And you'll think of something perfectly sappy and gross. I have faith."

"Thanks, D."

————-

On Monday, Janis uses her study hall period to hunt down Kevin G. Cady is in English on the other side of the building, so unless she goes really out of her way to go to the bathroom there's no chance of her finding out what Janis is up to.

She finds Kevin in the library, reading what appears to be a math textbook cover to cover. Janis puts on some fake confidence and marches her way up to his table, sliding into the chair across from him.

"Yo, Sarkisian, how ya been?" Kevin asks, closing the book and looking up at her.

"Um... fine. Listen, can you help me with something?" Janis says hastily.

"Depends," Kevin responds. "What do you need and what do I get out of it?"

"I'm trying to think of a way to ask Caddy to prom, is there any sort of, like, equation or something that would spell out prom if she solved it or something? Something math related I could do?" Janis pleads. She had decided getting animals involved was a little more risky than she was willing to try.

"Oh. Uh, I don't... actually know about that. I can check with Norbury and get back to you?" Kevin says.

"Sure. Just, would you be able to do it soon? Like, sometime this week? I wanna give her time to get everything prepared, and prom is less than a month away."

"Sure thing, Sarks. Don't stress, Africa never shuts up about you. She'll say yes."

"Thanks, Kevin. I really appreciate it." Janis says, relieved.

"Anything for Heron. We'd be a fuckin' wreck without her."

—————

On Wednesday, Janis is sitting in art when none other than Kevin comes barreling through the door, making a beeline for her.