you happened

what's popping little muppets!! happy wednesday! btw my friend Kween says "make a toxic christian angry today". we're on ft rn don't question it. ANYWAY

i don't wanna spoil too much about this chapter so let's just dive right in shall we??? some special guests in this one, i'm excited to see your reactions!!

tw for:
discussion of canon events in mean girls (outing, etc)
and discussion of canon events in the prom (homophobia, etc)
as always if i missed any please let me know, and please enjoy!!

—-

"Oh!" Cady says, interrupting herself in the middle of a sentence. "I just remembered! My cousin is coming to visit next week, do you guys want to meet her?"

"Emma?" Damian asks excitedly. Cady nods. "Yes! Is she bringing the-her... Broadway friends?"

"I dunno, she didn't tell me," Cady giggles. "But probably, she said they usually visit her at some point every summer."

"I should probably be there to stop him from combusting if they do come," Janis huffs. "But also, yes, I want to meet her too."

"She's an absolute icon," Damian says happily. "God, her song. Still makes me cry."

"You cried watching Finding Dory yesterday," Janis retaliates.

"It's a sad movie! Sometimes!" Damian defends. "Anyway, tell me all about Emma."

"Okay," Cady giggles again. "She's a year older than us, and she's my cousin on my mom's side. Um... you know her whole... prom fiasco. I've only met her in person once when I was ten, for Rhys' funeral. But we were pen pals when we were really little. And now we just text and stuff."

"Cute," Damian says. "And is her girlfriend coming?"

"Oh! Yeah," Cady says around a mouthful of Janis' milkshake. "Her name is Alyssa, she's, like, super smart. Did every possible activity in high school, that kind of thing. But she's been with Emma when we've Facetimed and stuff before and she's super sweet."

"Aww," Damian coos. "I can't wait!"

————-

Luckily for him, Damian doesn't have to wait too long. Emma and Alyssa arrive the following week in Emma's pickup. Damian has been pressed against the window all day, like a small child watching for the ice cream truck. He gasps dramatically when four people in matching sequined tracksuits also hop out of the backseat, grumbling about being cramped together for such a long trip.

Cady opens the door to let everyone in, and is quickly swamped by a crowd of people much taller than her. Janis pops up on her tippy toes to try and find her girlfriend to save her, but doesn't succeed.

Everyone heads into the living room, and Janis laughs when she finds Cady being carried in like a sack of potatoes by one of the men that came with Emma.

"Emma, why didn't you tell me your cousin was so adorable?" He demands. "Look at this, she's so small."

"Please put me down," Cady squeaks. Janis heads over and reaches for her.

"Can I have my girlfriend back, please?"

"And she's gay!" The man says happily, passing Cady over like she's a small dog. Janis holds her close and smoothes her hair back to where it was.

"Bi, actually," Cady grumbles.

"Well, aren't you something. Oh, my name is Barry, by the way. As if you haven't heard of me."

"Barry, we talked about this," Emma chides. "They haven't. Except Damian."

"And where is this Damian? I want to meet him," one of the ladies says. "Oh, and my name is Dee Dee."