what's in a name

hey hey little muppets!!! happy wednesday!

this is based on a prompt from a list given to me by etchedstars absolutely forever ago (like, april, i think?? maybe may?? idk.) anyway! thank you to xem for this! (love you buddy!) enjoy this coffee shop au!

i don't think i need any trigger warnings (for realsies this time, sorry about last week! or whenever that was. what even is time.) but as always please let me know if ive missed one and i will add it in!

enjoy!

—-

Cady Heron loves routine.

She thrives on it, knowing exactly when and how and why things happen, in the order they do. Routine gives her a sense of control.

Every morning she wakes up at exactly seven, has an easy breakfast, takes a shower that lasts exactly fifteen minutes, brushes her teeth, then gets dressed, then does her hair, feeds her cat, and goes to class. Her days always end at two in the afternoon, at which point she walks to her favorite coffee shop, orders a venti chai, and studies at her table in her corner until seven when she goes home and starts again.

She's accustomed to it. She likes her routine. It works, it keeps her productive and calm. But every once in a while something new happens and throws a wrench in things.

Like the smoking hot new barista at the coffee shop. She's tall, and muscular, and whoa. Cady's so busy staring at her gorgeous chocolate brown eyes and pretty half-dyed hair and cute full cheeks and dark purple lipstick that she doesn't even hear the barista trying to get her attention.

"Helloooo? Can I get you something? Maybe a water? You're looking kinda flushed," the barista says, tilting her head.

"Oh! Sorry," Cady says frantically, snapping back to reality. She reads the name tag pinned to the barista's apron. Janis. A good name.

Janis smirks slightly, and dear god she has dimples. "It's all good. What can I get ya?"

"Uh..." Cady stutters. What's her order? "A venti... uhm..."

Janis mistakes her stuttering for her order. "Americano?" Cady nods frantically, desperate to get away from this humiliation and this incredibly attractive woman in front of her. "Coming right up. What's your name?"

"Cady."

"Nice name. It'll be about five minutes," Janis says. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Mmhmm," Cady squeaks. "I'm fine, thank you."

Janis smiles gently again and turns around to start making Cady's order. Cady looks down to hide her blush, taking deep breaths to try and get her heart rate back to normal.

"Thank you," she says when Janis hands her the cup. Her voice is still a few octaves higher than normal, but Janis just smiles and nods. Cady heads to her usual table and pulls out her book, holding it up in front of her face to hide from the world for a while.

-

Eventually she does calm down, and peeks over the top of her book to find Janis looking at her, almost the way one looks at a cute pet. Cady ducks back into her textbook. Get it together.

She reaches to take a sip of her drink, expecting the soothing herbal flavor of her usual tea. She splutters slightly when she gets a mouthful of boiling hot, bitter espresso instead. Cady's never been a coffee person.

She pulls it away from her mouth to read it, expecting to see that she's gotten the wrong order. All she finds is a messy cursive scrawl saying 'Katie'.