Kamui x Reader: The Fragile Concept of Love

"Hey, Kamui, do you love me?"

Bright blue eyes blinked up at her, shining in the light of a nearby street lamp. All around them, the busy Edo streets rustled and chattered, obscuring the tone of his response.

"Of course not, why?"

(F/N) frowned. Between them sat the wooden counter of her street stall, and on top of that sat twenty empty bowls of ramen. He was still stuffing his face with the twenty-first.

"What a pity," (F/N) said, resting her cheek in her hand. "With you coming back here every time you visit Earth, I almost thought I had an admirer."

"It's your food he loves, not you," muttered his second-in-command, who was starting to become invisible behind the mountain of bowls. "We're gonna be late if he keeps this up."

"Actually, it's the cheap prices I like," Kamui said around a mouthful of noodles.

(F/N) narrowed her eyes, and snatched away his bowl.

"Okay, no more ramen for you!"

"Ack! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I love your ramen, (F/N)-san!"

She frowned, examining the sincerity of his apology, and, finding it genuine, handed him back his bowl. He snatched it away immediately, and set about stuffing his face, taking the time to glare at her between bites.

"Honestly," he muttered, pausing to slurp his noodles, "I don't see why everyone is so obsessed with love. It's so fragile and pointless. You'd think people would've given up on it a long time ago."

"Different people find fulfillment in different things," (F/N) said, leaning against the counter. "Personally, I don't think it's that bad. I think it'd be nice to love something."

"But what do you do when the thing you love is gone?" Kamui asked, blue eyes piercing her from over his bowl. "What then?"

"Then?" (F/N) thought for a moment, and shrugged. "Then I guess you find something else to love. That's the cycle of life, as they say."

Kamui frowned, and pushed his empty bowl towards her.

"Things like that are pointless," he muttered, sliding off his stool. "Abuto, pay her."

"What?" Abuto snapped. "Why me?"

(F/N) chuckled, and before Kamui disappeared out of sight, she leaned out of the booth, and waved to him.

"Hey, Space Pirate!" she called. "Why don't you take me with you next time? It would sure beat coming all the way here, right?"

"Not happening!" Kamui shouted over his shoulder. "There are tons of scary things in space! Someone as weak as you would die instantly out there!"

With that, he disappeared around a street corner, and Abuto heaved a sigh.

"Yeah," he muttered. "And out of all those scary things, you're the scariest."

"Oh, I don't know," (F/N) said, resting her chin in her hand. "He seems nice enough to me."

~o0o~

"Hey, Kamui, do you love me?"

(F/N) lay on her back, head spinning. All around her lay the debris of her shop, and above her, one hand planted on each side of her head, was Kamui, an open wound on his back dripping blood onto the ground.

"Of course not," he said, breath coming out in short, pained gasps. "Why would you ask that?"

"No reason...just wondering."