Kamui x Reader: Sick Days

Yato didn't get sick as often as humans—that was a simple fact, so when (F/N), a member of the Harusame's Seventh Division and Kamui's girlfriend, woke up one day coughing, she dismissed it as a temporary bodily malfunction, and decided to go about her day normally.

It didn't go quite as planned.

(F/N) stumbled through the Seventh Division's ship in search of food. As per usual, something quickly latched onto her.

"(F/N)-chan! Good morning! You're cute as usual today!"

(F/N) smiled. "'Morning, Kamui."

He released her, and tapped his lips. "Can I have my morning kiss?"

"Yeah, sure."

She pecked him on the lips. As she drew away, she doubled over into a coughing fit.

"(F/N)-chan? Are you okay?"

"Yes." She took a deep breath. "Don't worry. It's just—"

She met his gaze, and froze. He stared at her with an unreadable expression on his face, slowly reaching out to lay the back of his hand on her forehead. When he did so, his eyes went wide with genuine worry.

"You have a fever!" he exclaimed, grabbing her wrist and pulling her down the hall. "Come on! We need to get you to the infirmary right away!"

"Kamui!" she snapped. "I'm fine!"

"We don't know that! We need to get you some medicine. What if—what if—"

He never finished the sentence, but (F/ N) had a feeling she knew exactly what he was about to say.

What if you end up just like my mother?

~o0o~

The Seventh Division didn't have an actual doctor on staff—after all, what was the point? They were yato. In fact, in all the years she'd spent on that stuffy ship, (F/N) had never been to the infirmary. It was full of strange gadgets she didn't recognize, and certainly did not want to see used on someone's body.

Kamui knew his way around surprisingly well, sitting her on a stool in the corner and rifling through the drawers until he found what he was looking for--a long, thin object which fell under the category of things in the infirmary (F/N) didn't recognize.

Kamui poked her mouth. "Say 'aah.'"

(F/N) frowned, and drew back.  "What is that?"

"It's a thermometer," he explained. "We had one on Rakuyou. We used it to check mother's temperature when she was..."

He trailed off. His expression was so grim, (F/N) was actually scared.

"Kamui, I'm not going to—"

She broke into a coughing fit. Kamui rubbed her back until she caught her breath, and stuck the thermometer in her mouth.

"Don't chew on it, okay? It'll poison you."

"Itff in ma mouf! Vat elff cn I do?"

"No talking, either."

Kamui kept his eyes on the clock. (F/N) kept as still as possible, and watched his expression.

When's the last time he smiled? I can't believe he's so worried about a stupid cold.

He took the thermometer out, and gave it a quick check.

"See!" he exclaimed. "Look how high this is! You need to rest. What if this gets worse?"

(F/N) didn't speak—after all, Kamui wasn't in the mood to listen. He stuffed his pockets with a couple of medicine bottles, and then, to her surprise, scooped her up into his arms. (F/N)'s first instinct was to snap and tell him she could walk by herself, but she held her tongue for both their sakes. Being princess-carried by him was strangely satisfying, actually.

Kamui carried her back to her room, and laid her on the bed gently, as if he were afraid she would fall apart. (F/N) had dreamed of Kamui being this sweet, but she not like this. Not when his hands shook as he tucked her in, or when he looked like he was about to cry.

"Kamui—"

He took a deep breath, took the medicine bottles out of his pockets, and lined them up on the bedside table.

"Cough, fever."

(F/N) watched silently as he figured out the correct dose, and took the strange pills without complaint. As soon as the pills disappeared, his expression relaxed, though he still had yet to smile.

"Kamui..." (F/N) murmured.

He turned to her. She reached up, and cupped his cheek in her hand.

"I'm not going to leave you alone," she said. "I promise."

He laid his hand over hers. "Mother used to say the same thing."

"I'm sorry, it's just...I'm not your mother."

He leaned forward, and wrapped her in a hug. "I know, but you're just as precious."

She grabbed his shoulders, and pushed him away.

"Look at me. Does this look like the face of someone who's going to die?"

He smiled faintly. "No."

He kissed her long and full on the lips, and smirked as he drew away.

"That looks like the face of a person who's going to spend the rest of the day in bed resting!"

(F/N) sighed. It seemed he was back to normal.

"If I'm the one resting," she muttered, "why are you taking your boots off? Shouldn't you be working?"

He threw back the covers, and jumped into bed. "Nope!"

"You just want an excuse to cuddle, don't you?"

"Exactly!"

He opened his arms, and (F/N) grinned.

"I have to say, I have no complaints."

She leaned into his chest, relishing the feeling of his arms around her, and feeling eternally grateful that this man somehow loved her.

"I need to warn you," she murmured, "you might get sick."

"Like I, of all people, am going to get sick!"

~o0o~

Kamui lay in bed, coughing his lungs out. (F/N) stood next to him, shaking her head.

"I told you so."

Author's Note: Hello! I hope you like this fanfic. If you do, please remember to vote! Thanks!

-Marguerite Partello