Hijikata Toushirou x Reader: Let's Kill Sougo

It took fifteen minutes for Hijikata to notice (F/N) was in the room. He was stooped over his paperwork, brow furrowed, occasionally muttering a few profanities under his breath, or pausing to light another cigarette. When he noticed her, he blinked a few times, making sure he was actually seeing the figure curled up in the corner pretending to read. When he registered who it was, he took his cigarette from his mouth and sighed, sending smoke billowing into the room.

"Can you please stop breaking into my office, (F/N)?"

She looked up from her book, smiling sweetly.

"Well, if I didn't do stuff like this, I'd never see you."

"We got together just last week, remember?" he said, snuffing out his cigarette in an ashtray. "We played board games—"

"That was because I broke into your room."

He flinched. "Okay, but there was that time when we ate lunch together—"

"I ran into you during my lunch break, and Kondo convinced you to take the afternoon off so we could eat together."

He was sweating profusely. "Um...well...you ate dinner here just a few weeks ago—"

"Because Kondo invited me." (F/N) scowled. "You know, it's really telling when Kondo is better with women than you are. Come on, Toshi! We've hardly seen each other for the past two years!"

(F/N) had known Hijikata since they were young. Soon after he left for Edo, she'd 'moved there for work,' and they'd reconnected, but as he got busier, she became less of a priority. By this point, she wasn't sure if she was a friend or a nuisance.

"I guess you're right," he muttered, glancing away. "Do you...want to go on a date with me?"

(F/N) froze. "Did I hear you correctly?"

"Don't...don't make me say it again!"

She crawled closer to him, and sure enough, his face was bright red.

"I...I can't believe it!" she exclaimed. "The infamous stick-in-the-mud, Hijikata Tousirou, just asked me on a date!"

"Shut up!"

She giggled. "Don't take it the wrong way! I've always wanted to go on a date with you!"

He stared at her. "Wait, really?"

"Yeah, really."

They arranged the day and time, and (F/N) left so he could go back to work. In the hall, she couldn't help but notice Okita grinning like a maniac.

That was never a good sign.

~o0o~

(F/N) wouldn't have cancelled that date for anything—not even an uncontrollable sadist latching onto a new target.

On the day of the date, she met Hijikata outside the Shinsengumi Base. She knew he would only wear his normal clothing, so she'd only dressed up with a few accessories and a nicer than usual dress. As she linked her arm with his, she looked around, but she couldn't see the familiar sadist anywhere.

"Is something wrong?" Hijikata asked.

She shook her head. "No. It's nothing."

~o0o~

The first place Hijikata took her was a restaurant. To (F/N)'s surprise, it wasn't the one that made the Hijikata special. For a moment, (F/N) was afraid she'd gone on a date with the wrong person. Then Hijikata told her that restaurant was closed.