Saitou Shimaru x Reader: Misunderstandings

It had been a month since Saitou and (F/N) had started dating, and he couldn't be happier. (F/N) was absolutely amazing—funny, pretty, popular...he had no idea why, out of all the people in the Shinsengumi, she'd picked someone like him, but he was happy all the same, doing his best to live every day to the fullest while she was with him.

That day, she came to hide out in his office—something she did often to avoid Hijikata's wrath. She was playing a game on her computer—a definite violation of the Shinsengumi code, and Saitou could hear the little clicks of the keys as she chased after her Imaginary opponent. It was strangely comforting to listen to as he finished up his work for the day. The two of them didn't talk much—in fact, he couldn't speak to her at all—but little moments like these were enough for him.

Perhaps that's why he noticed the moment the clicking noise stopped, sending the room into a deafening silence.

Saitou turned around, wanting to at least wave goodbye if she was leaving, but she wasn't. Instead, she sat in her spot in the corner, watching him with narrowed eyes.

The moment their gazes locked, she looked down, and resumed her game, hands flying across the keyboard, but Saitou continued to watch her, a frown on his face. This wasn't the first time he'd caught her staring, and a little voice in the back of his head told him something was wrong.

With that in mind, he scribbled a quick note on a piece of paper, and passed it to her.

Is something wrong?

(F/N) flashed him a smile. "No, not at all! Why?"

And with that, she returned to her computer, leaving Saitou with no choice but to accept her answer.

~o0o~

The next day, Saitou was surrounded by an aura of gloom.

He sat at a table in the mess hall, head hung, storm clouds hanging over his head. The soldiers, fearing the Captain's wrath, gave him a wide birth, and he was left alone to wallow in misery.

At least, until one particular officer came into the picture.

"Nii-san," Okita said, plopping down beside him. "Is something wrong? You're gonna cause a monsoon."

Saitou raised his head, looking him over before dropping back down onto the table.

"That bad, huh?" Okita dug into his food. "Let me guess, this has something to do with (F/N)-chan, right?"

Saitou's aura of gloom intensified.

"I see..." Okita heaved a sigh. "And here I bet you'd stay together at least two months longer...so, what's going on?"

Saitou scribbled something on a napkin, and held it up.

(F/N)-san keeps staring at me. I don't know why. I think she might hate me.

"Oh, come on. We both know (F/N)-chan's a weirdo. She's probably just spacing out."

She's not spacing out! Saitou insisted. She hates me, I know it!

"You're overreacting," Okita replied, looking thoroughly unconvinced, "but if you're really that worked up about it, there she is now. Hey, (F/N)-chan!"

Saitou jumped, almost knocking over his glass of water, and looked up to see (F/N) just entering the room. She paused just inside the door, eyes fixed on Saitou, but Okita waved a hand, snapping her out of it, and she hurried over, a giant grin on her face.