Katsura Kotarou x Reader: Don't Die

Katsura cracked open his eyes to see her bathed in a halo of light.

He was lying in bed, the covers thrown haphazardly over his aching body. He watched as she bent over him, brow creased with worry.

That worried expression quickly morphed into a kind smile when she noticed he was awake.

"You should have told someone you weren't feeling well, proud man," she scolded, wringing out a cloth and placing it on his forehead. "Don't worry, I haven't breathed a word to anybody. Instead, I told them Sakamoto-kun was annoying you, so you holed up in your room. Even he believes it."

Katsura chuckled, only to break into a coughing fit.

"Careful!" she warned him. "Here, have some water."

She grabbed a cup from a nearby table, propped him up, and held it to his lips. He drank quickly, eyeing her from the corner of his vision.

Her name was (L/N) (F/N). She was an odd soldier—the daughter of a samurai, and taught to fight from a young age despite her gender. She seemed dainty--dressing well, and keeping a ribbon tied around the hilt of her sword, yet somehow, she was a demon on the battlefield.

In this moment, however, she looked like an angel.

~o0o~

Katsura knocked on the Yorozuya, waiting a moment before opening the very much unlocked door.

"Oi, what're you doing breaking in?" Gintoki mumbled from the couch.

"I'm not breaking in, I'm Katsura."

"You know what I mean."

The rebel ignored him, and sat on the opposite couch. The silver-haired man glanced at the calendar, and sighed.

"It's that time again, is it? The anniversary of her death?"

Katsura refused to answer, and Gintoki nodded knowingly.

"You really liked her, huh?"

"Yes, I did."

"I don't blame you. I liked her, too."

A moment of silence. Then, Gintoki spoke again.

"Did you plan on marrying her?"

Katsura hesitated. Gintoki knew exactly what that meant.

"Yes," the long-haired man finally admitted. "After the war was over, that is."

"Well, I didn't," the odd jobs man replied, "but, you know, there's no changing what happened. Maybe you should try moving on. Date someone. It's nice."

"Like you would know!" Katsura spat back.

~o0o~

(F/N) crept out of her room, and climbed onto the roof. The night air was chilly through her thin nightclothes, and she relished the sensation.

Soon after she'd settled down to stargaze, she heard the door beneath her open, and someone else clambered up beside her.

"Oh, hello," Katsura greeted her, the wind blowing in his unbound hair.

"Hello," (F/N) replied. "I'm sorry, did I wake you?"

"...No," he answered.

She patted the space next to her. "Would you like to sit down?"