Okita Sougo x Reader: Cough-y

Okita awoke to the sound of coughing.

He rolled over, blanket sliding off his shoulders as he pressed a pillow over his ears. Coughing wasn't an unusual sound to hear around Headquarters—even the great and powerful Shinsengumi got sick, after all. This cough, however was different. It was constant, never-ending, and something about it made a strange feeling twist in his gut. He waited ten—fifteen—twenty minutes for it to stop, but in the end, there was only one thing to do.

Heaving a sigh, he rolled out of bed, grabbed his training sword, and stepped out into the yard.

It looked like he had another sleepless night ahead of him.

~o0o~

The next morning, the men seemed even more intimidated by Okita than usual. He trudged through the halls, uniform collar unbuttoned, running his hands through his messed-up hair. Ordinarily, a night or two without sleep wasn't a problem, but this was not an ordinary situation.

He stopped in the Shinsengumi's dining hall, taking note of the line of rested men, and ultimately chose a seat across from Yamazaki, who proceeded to turn a sickly grey.

"Oh, Captain Okita!" He let out a strained chuckle. "You look a little..."

He cut himself off before saying something he might regret, and Okita ran his hands through his hair again, trying to ignore the headache he felt coming on.

"I have a question for you," he muttered, earning a flinch, "do you have any idea who keeps coughing at night?"

"Coughing?" Yamazaki blinked. "Who are you talking about? I haven't heard anyone coughing."

"Seriously?" Okita drawled. "Wow, Yamazaki, you're even dumber than I thought. Harada-san," he said, ignoring the inspector's cry of 'hey!' "do you know who it is?"

"The person coughing?" The tenth division captain asked. "Sorry, I haven't heard it, either."

"Eh?" Okita looked around. "Then Shimaru-nii-san, you have to know who it is, right?"

Saitou, who had just entered the room, shrugged helplessly, and Okita was starting to wonder if Kagura was right when she said he should be admitted to a psychiatric facility. Then, just as he turned to his food, he heard it—that awful, familiar sound.

"Are you all right, (F/N)-san?" one of the soldiers asked. "Do you need some water?"

"No, no, I'm fine!"

Okita turned just in time to see (F/N) with her hand over her mouth, looking innocently up at her concerned coworker. She noticed Okita' stare, and turned, lowering her hand just in time for him to see her smile.

"Good morning, Captain!" she said, shooting him a wave. "Is something wrong?"

He frowned, possible responses rolling over in his mind, but in the end, he just shook his head, and turned back to his food.

"No, it's nothing."

Liar.

~o0o~

(F/N) was a rather new recruit in the Shinsengumi. An old friend of Otae's, she joined on her best friend's recommendation—or rather, Kondo leapt at the opportunity to get in his stalkee's favor, much to the rest of the Shinsengumi's annoyance. Despite their initial reservations, (F/N) turned out to be quite skilled, and in the end, Okita selected her for the First Division—his division.