Okita Sougo x Reader: The Darkest Day in Shinsengumi History

"That dumb bitch? Why would I like her?"

Yes, that's how it all began...

The darkest day in Shinsengumi history.

~o0o~

(F/N) first met Okita at the age of five. Through a combination of her upbeat attitude and endless patience, they managed to become friends. She joined the dojo to spend more time with him, and when he left for Edo, she went with him, because they were friends, and friends stuck together.

Sometime after the Shinsengumi was formed, however, (F/N)'s feelings for Okita became a little more complicated. She started noticing all the little things about him, like the way he smirked when he was about to do something awful, or twirled a pencil around in his fingers when he was bored. She got a little too excited when he took his shirt off during training, and eventually, (F/N) was forced to accept that her attraction to him was no longer platonic, but romantic.

Over time, she started to notice Okita's behavior change as well. He teased her less, and physical contact with him went up from rare and heart-pounding to several times a day and equally heart-pounding. All these things gave (F/N) some hope that her feelings might be returned.

Several months after she realized how she felt, it had been a long day at work. Between two terrorist attacks and having to pick up Kondo after he got stuck in a cupboard at the Shimura house, (F/N) was surprised she hadn't passed out from exhaustion. By some miracle, though, she had made it to the end of her shift. All she had to do was deliver some papers to Hijikata, and she'd be done.

Finally I'll be able to relax...she thought, heaving a sigh. What'll I do? Read a book? Maybe watch a movie? I wonder if Sougo's still working?

She was so lost in thought, she didn't even notice someone was in front of her until she bumped straight into his chest. (F/N) stumbled backwards, and looked up to find herself face-to-face with Okita. His expression was blank, but it still somehow had the ability to make (F/N)'s face go red.

"You're still working?" he asked. "Shouldn't your shift be over by how?"

"It is," she replied. "I just need to deliver these to Hijikata-san, then I'm done for the day."

"Huh." He frowned, and took the papers from her. "You go ahead. I'll deliver them for you."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. I have a new assassination attempt in mind, so I've been looking for an excuse to visit Hijikata-san."

(F/N) chuckled, and she thought she saw a small smile on his face, as well.

"Good work today."

(F/N) looked up just as his hand descended on her head. He stroked her hair a few times, then drew back, and walking away as if nothing happened. Perhaps she should have been annoyed, but she wasn't, because it was a sign—a sign he might have the same feelings for her she had for him.

With that, (F/N) headed towards her room. It seemed Sougo was still working. Maybe she should text one of her other friends...

She reached into her pocket for her phone, only to find it empty. She frowned, and patted her other pocket. Also empty. What could she have done with it? She hadn't dropped it when she was on patrol, right? If that was the case, she'd never find it.

Then she remembered. She'd been in Hijikata's office. She'd shown him a picture she'd taken, then set her phone on his desk...and never picked it up.