Hijikata Toushirou x Reader: A Big Softie

Hijikata Toushirou was the Demon Vice-Chief of the Shinsengumi—an infamous hard-ass known for being ruthless and dedicated to his work. How (F/N) had gotten him to date her, she would never know.

She hummed to herself as she skipped through Shinsengumi Headquarters, a bento box in her hands. Hijikata had been working late the past couple of nights, and (F/N) thought it might be a nice surprise. No one could dislike a surprise of food, after all.

She knocked on his office door, barely waiting for an answer before bursting inside. Hijikata was stooped over his desk, cheek in his hand, cigarette smoking in his mouth. The dark bags under his eyes were obvious, but his expression softened when he looked up and saw her standing in the door.

"Oh, it's you."

"Yes, it is!"

She grinned, and hurried over to the desk. Hijikata gave no sort of greeting hug or kiss—he'd never been especially affectionate, especially when someone could walk in—but (F/N) didn't mind that. She was perfectly content just to see his face.

"Here, I brought you a little surprise." She set the bento on his desk, followed by a bottle. "Here's the rice, and here's the mayonnaise! Enjoy!"

His eyes went wide. "A Hijikata Special?"

"Uh-huh! Homemade!"

He flashed her a grateful smile, and she watched as he tore open the bento, and squirted the entire bottle of mayonnaise on top. She wanted to stay and eat with him, but there were piles upon piles of papers on his desk, and she could tell he probably wanted her to leave so he could continue his work, so she flashed him one last smile, and took a step towards the door.

"Well, I'll leave you to it, then," she said. "Do your best! I'll see you after work!"

She turned to the door, but before she could reach for the handle, Hijikata's voice stopped her.

"(F/N), wait."

She paused, and looked over her shoulder. Hijikata's mouth was open, and she waited for his next words, but he just paused, and dropped his gaze to the desk.

"Thanks for the food."

(F/N) frowned. She got the feeling that wasn't what he was planning to say, but if he didn't want to talk about it, she couldn't force him. She didn't want to be a nuisance, after all, so in the end, she just nodded, and forced a smile.

"Sure, anytime!"

And with that, she opened the door, and disappeared out into the hall.

~o0o~

A few days later, (F/N) arrived at the Shinsengumi base in the early morning. The hallways were empty, and she tiptoed from door to door, poking her head in and looking for any sign of life. Before she could get too far, however, someone tapped her shoulder. She jumped, and spun around, bracing for an attack, only to meet a very familiar pair of steely blue eyes.

"Ah, Toshi!" She let out a sigh of relief. "You scared me."

Hijikata drew his hand back. "What were you doing, anyway?"

"Oh, that?" She took a game cartridge out of her purse. "Kondo-san lent me this. I was just looking for him so I could give it back."

"Kondo-san is out with the others," Hijikata muttered. "We're doing some training out in the courtyard."

"Oh?" (F/N) tilted her head. "You're not with them?"

He glanced to the side. "Something came up."