apocalypse

helloooo :))

this is an au inspired by a prompt so enjoyy! and also - as usual, ignore the mistakes, i couldn't be bothered with grammarly

tw // blood & gore, violence, swearing, death

(these are warnings for part 1 and 2)

-

jungkook is five years old when he learns that having a zombie brother isn't a good thing.

you see, jungkook is taught that junghyun is just like any other boy - just like jungkook. his parents make sure to involve his twitchy brother in everything they do. junghyun is made to participate in every family gathering, event and funeral.

jungkook isn't upset at this, in fact, he loves having an older brother to look up to.

it's only when he starts school at the tender age of five that the boys in jungkook's classroom get wind of junghyun's existence.

"hey, rabbit!" calls a short, pudgy boy, his teeth clenched around a plastic ruler. "don't you have a zombie at home?" he asks jungkook with a sneer.

"yes," jungkook responds, packing away his favourite colour pencils that his mother bought him for his first year of school. jungkook loves them a lot. "junghyung hyung is at home," he smiles at the other boy.

"well you should be careful," the boys tells him with a sharp shake of his head, shoving the chewed-out, plastic ruler in jungkook's hands. "zombies are bad, you know."

jungkook hates the boy immediately. that was his ruler.

-

at home, when jungkook brings up what happened at school with siwoo (he later finds out his name from taehyung, his mother's friend's son), his parents stare at him with masked looks of horror.

"jungkook, we don't think you're old enough to know just yet aegiya." 

"why eomma?" jungkook asks, his fists sticky with yellow play dough, which his mother begins to wipe off gently with a wet rag. she doesn't look up from his little hands, concentrated on getting rid of all the unnoticed dirtiness.

his father is sitting at their coffee table, the daily newspaper limp in his hands. jungkook looks back and forth between them, wondering if he said something wrong.

he tries again. "is junghyun not supposed to be a zombie, appa?" this time directing his question to the man at the table.

"jungkookie," his father sighs, a sad smile playing on his chapped lips, "we're a family, little one, and that means the four of us love each other. a lot. "

his mother nods, looking brighter now. "yes, little one, we love you both so, so much. what would eomma and appa ever do without our beautiful boys?" she laughs warmly, taking jungkook's hands back in her own and giving them wet kisses, which makes jungkook giggle as he fights off the impromptu love-attack.

jungkook feels happy.

what would he ever do without his family?

-

the warmth only lasts so long, though.

at school jungkook is picked on by siwoo and if it wasn't for taehyung, he would be friendless and way more bruised than he usually is.

-

"ya!" comes the voracious yell from the downstairs corridor. "jungkook-ah, did you order something?" jimin's voice drifts upstairs, a lot louder this time.

jungkook almost slips in his haste to make it downstairs and in front of their door. he gives jimin a wink of gratitude, fixing his hair a bit before pulling the door open with a wide grin.

the grin drops immediately when he sees who's standing on their welcome doormat.

taehyung.

he looks better than he did five years ago at their highschool graduation; ie, the worst fucking day of jungkook's life.

"hyung?" there is so much jungkook wants to ask the older boy but he just stands there, a huge question mark painted on his forehead. he's pretty sure his eyes are bugging out again - jimin says he does that a lot.

taehyung cracks his familiar half-smile that makes him look years younger, and gosh jungkook misses him.

"you're twenty-two, huh?" taehyung says, breaking the silence with his deep voice that has only gotten more mature. jungkook thinks he would be able to smell aftershave if he leans in a little closer.

"twenty-three in a month," jungkook smiles awkwardly, arm holding the wall besides their door. jimin's hand comes to rest on his lower back. his hyung is watching taehyung with a glint in his eyes.

"who is this, jungkookie?" jimin asks softly.

jungkook clears his throat.

he senses jimin tense up behind him when taehyung takes it upon himself to introduce himself.

"hi, i'm kim taehyung, twenty-four. i-- live over there," taehyung gestures to the room across the hallway. two of his fingers come up to flick back a chocolate curl that covers his right eye.

"ah," jimin's voice is startlingly hostile all of a sudden. "sorry, but who are you?"

jungkook looks down at his bare feet, cheeks reddening. "he's a friend from highschool, hyung," he says softly, missing the way taehyung's eyes widen at 'friend'. jimin watches him, curiosity growing.

"friend?"

"why? am i wrong?" jungkook asks, tone a little sharp.

taehyung gives him a sad smile. "i though you hated me," he confesses. "junghyun-"

"stop. please, let's...let's go inside."

jimin steps back, worry clouding his eyes as he watches jungkook trudge upstairs with taehyung cautiously following the younger.

when jungkook is at the top of the staircase, jimin calls out his name.

"yes, hyung?"

"do you need me?" jimin asks him, completely ignoring taehyung.

"thanks hyung but i'm fine. i'll be down soon."

"okay."

"hyung?" jungkook asks.

"yes?"

"don't eat my food, please."

"ya," jimin chuckles, "you brat."

-

"you've really grown up."

"i know, so have you."

"i miss you, jungkook-ah."

"hmm, yes. i do too."

"come here."

jungkook falls into taehyung's arms, trying not to cry.

"don't try to hold it in. it's only me."

it's the second time jungkook's broken down after they took junghyun away from his family.

-

okay that's part one - i've put this out so i can see the reaction before publishing the next part :)) i hope you guys like it so far!

also, look out for the collab i'm doing with a fellow wattpadder - it's gonna be siiick haha

tera