preview

"Yah."

Jungkook looks up from their glossy dining table. 

"I expect a proper evaluation. None of that fluffy business, okay?" Jin hyung says, sending Jungkook a wink. He turns back around to wave his metal chopsticks in the air. "This is how it's done."

Jungkook chuckles at his hyung's antics. Despite how brave Jin is being, Jungkook can tell that his hyung is nervous about the taste testing. So today, his job is quite simple. First, try some of Jin's food, then give him a good evaluation. 

"If big hyung likes it, then I'm sure I'll like it too." Jungkook smiles. 

"I hope so," Jin says. He flicks off the flame with a tight smile. "Alright. Jimin-ah, the first one's ready."

Jimin jumps off the kitchen counter and slumps towards the stove to make a fresh plate of food. Jin watches him with the corner of his mouth lifting into a smile. Jimin scoops hot noodles onto the plate first, slathering it with red-brown curry. Steaming vegetables and dried meat join the plate, and it starts to look like a carefully orchestrated delicacy. Junkook's eyes widen, and his tongue sweeps his bottom lip. 

Jimin finishes and brings the plate over to the dining table. He places it in front of Jungkook with two hands and a knowing smile. 

"It's still hot, be careful. We don't want a repeat of last Chuseok- "

"Hyung." Jungkook flushes and pouts when Jin bursts into laughter. 

Hot steam fills his nose with a delicious scent. It's something different, and Jungkook is the most open to sampling new foods. So it suddenly makes sense why Jin chose him to taste the new dish.

"Yah, Jungkook." 

Jungkook looks up. "Yes?"

"I need the results by tonight."

Jungkook blinks. "Oh, sorry." 

He picks up a new pair of chopsticks from the metal tin and digs in. 

It's only after he's taken his fourth slurp that he feels anything close to satisfied. Instead, he swallows more and more and more...

He relaxes into his next bite and almost inhales the food in his haste. Jin laughs and hands him a napkin as Jimin passes him a tall glass of water. Jungkook takes the glass with watery eyes. 

Time seems to slow down after he gulps the water, and his red chopsticks are beginning to wobble in his hands.

Jungkook pauses. He feels sick. 

"Slow down, Jungkook. There are three more dishes to get through."

Jungkook slams the chopsticks onto the table and swallows slowly. 

A burning heat spreads like fire through his abdomen. It's not painful per se, but he doesn't understand what's happening. 

"Jungkook-ah." Jin sighs and uses a tissue to dab away Jungkook's sweat. "Is it spicy?"

"No." Jungkook coughs. He takes a breath and swallows down more spit. "It's perfect, hyung."

His two hyungs share a look.

"Why?" Jungkook asks.

Jimin frowns. "You look pale." 

He brings a small hand to push back Jungkook's wet bangs. The strands of hair stay slicked back, and the mini-fan in Jin's hand dries his forehead. Jimin's fingers then travel to the underside of Jungkook's jaw, and his cool rings press deep into his skin. Jungkook turns his head to the side to feel more of the metal. 

There is a buzzing sound in the air, and suddenly, Jungkook snaps his eyes open. 

"What was in that bottle yesterday?" he asks.

Jin looks surprised but not confused. "Rat poison, Jungkook," he says. "Wait, why? Did you eat it?"

"Yeah, I- " Jungkook swallows. "I thought it was Panadol."

"Shit."

His heart beats faster. It is undeniable what is happening now. He's been poisoned. 

-

So this is a preview of something I've started writing, but I'm not sure if I should do it. 

If you like the idea, please let me know; otherwise, I think I'll drop it for now. 

I have a lot of other good ideas that I wanna write asap but this one I'm not so sure abt so help me out, dear readers!