self blame

tw // nightmares, jk being unkind to himself :(

-

jungkook is golden.

he shines like a star on stage; dancing and singing his heart out for his fans, brightening their days like a brilliant miracle. you see, making army happy is the most significant part of his job – it gives him purpose in an otherwise uncertain life. jungkook also loves the thrill of getting a dance move correct and singing a note to perfection – and basically impressing the people he loves most in this world. his blood is liquid ecstasy whenever he's perfect on stage, being the best version of himself.

unfortunately, he isn't always the best version of himself. sometimes, he's the worst version. sometimes, he messes up badly.

and that's exactly what happens on their final day of 'yet to come', in his hometown of all places.

-

"hey, you okay?" jimin asks jungkook, bringing a bowl of cereal to the breakfast table. he plops down and hands jungkook a spoon, which the younger takes gratefully.

they have an hour left before dance practice starts, and then all of tomorrow off to pack for 'BTS: in the soop'. it will be their third time going to the forest, and jungkook's really looking forward to going back. the healing that that place offers him and his members – and even army – is nothing short of miraculous.

"yeah," he replies, frowning at jimin's question. "why?"

jimin finishes chewing and mutters a quiet, "you look pale."

jungkook rolls his eyes. jiminie hyung is a constant worrier even when he doesn't need to be, but it's endearing nonetheless. jungkook doesn't know what bangtan would do without jimin.

"you're paler, hyung," he replies with a grin, snatching the spoon from jimin, who yelps and laughs at his antics.

"ya! i'm older than you-"

a sudden cough breaks through their playful banter.

they look up with identical frowns, not happy at being interrupted.

"are you both done?" namjoon asks amusedly. "we're leaving now."

jungkook's frowns deepens. "now? i thought we had an hour to get ready."

"they want us to rehearse at the stadium."

this causes jimin to sigh loudly. "why?" he asks, sounding slightly irritated. he motions to the cereal bowl and then to jungkook. "he hasn't eaten enough."

namjoon sighs, sitting down next to jungkook and taking the spoon from the younger's outstretched hand. and then, scooping up the largest spoon of coco puffs, he takes a massive bite of the cereal and chokes.

"slow down!" jimin scolds, leaning over to thump him on the back as jungkook does the same – hitting much harder. as he continues slapping namjoon's back, the leader gives him a sharp glare and he removes his hand sheepishly.

"sorry," he says, face turning hot.

the leader coughs one last time and takes a deep breath.

"you okay, hyung?" jimin asks him gently, handing namjoon a used tissue.

namjoon, like the kind hyung he is, accepts the tissue with a small grimace and even goes as far as using it to wipe his mouth off. jungkook tries not to gag at the action, turning to watch the wall behind namjoon's head as a distraction from his suddenly upset stomach. the things his hyungs do – honestly.