losing what's most precious

tw // mention of death, lots of grief, some crying and just a very sad jk :(

Yeah, it's somewhat disturbing. But isn't most of the stuff in this book? lol

Also - can we pls talk abt permission to dance???? IT'S SO GOOD !!!

-

A tiring day means he's worked hard, Jungkook reminds himself. 

He drops down on the couch beside the nurse's office and wrings his hands together. The grey wall in front of him is familiar with its many food charts and human body diagrams. 

Jungkook moves his head side to side, the laminated posters glinting under the dim hall light. 

It's evening time, and they've just finished dance practice for the Grammys performance. His long, blond hair flops into his eyes, wet and stringy, but he lets it be. 

The nurse's office is not how Jungkook wants to end his day. He takes a deep breath and slumps further into the couch, propping one leg over the other. Then, smiling to himself and dropping his head back, his eyes close. 

"You're back." 

Jungkook twists his head and sees Dr Min staring down at him. She has a look that resembles his mother whenever he's sick. Usually, it unnerves him, but today he stands from the couch and bows politely at her, whispering a quick 'hello' as she touches his sleeve and leads him inside.

He sits down in the spinny chair, nose twitching and eyes adjusting to the bright light. Dr Min puts down her clipboard and levels him with a deep stare. Her eyes are uniquely brown. Like a summer sun is trapped inside them. Jungkook swallows back a smile. 

"Jungkook," she says. "You're back again, darling." 

"Yes, noona."

She hums and places a hand flat on his chest, stethoscope sliding under his collar bone. The metal stings his skin, and he nibbles his bottom lip out of instinct. They go through the regular procedure of checking his breathing, through which he finds himself relaxing in her hold. The cool metal of the stethoscope dulls into a soft warmth by the time she pulls away. 

"Well, it's good news." She smiles and sits up. "Your breathing is fine. When did you have to take your inhaler last?" 

It was when he and Jimin had gone for a run. 

"Yesterday," Jungkook answers. "Noona, I think I want to start the medication again."

Dr Min doesn't respond right away, busy typing notes on the monitor. But when she turns to face him, her mouth is pressed tight. 

Jungkook shies away from her deep gaze this time. For him, looking down at his chunky shoes is better than those eyes staring into his deepest wounds. Dr Min taps her pen on something and clears her throat. Her hand comes into view and rests on his knee. 

"Look at me."

He frowns but looks up. 

Dr Min is smiling at him, and he finds himself smiling back. Her teeth are sharp and gorgeous. 

"Listen to me carefully," she says. "Goodbyes are not forever, and they are not the end. But, they are what make us miss her unbearably, I know."

Jungkook rubs a hand over his wobbling mouth.

"But," she says, "They are not the end."

He blinks once, and tears drop like dead weights. They shatter on the ground, and he swipes at his eyes. Her hand moves to grip his shoulder.