Chapter Thirty-Five ✧ Drowning Without You

AN: Jessica's outfit is up top.

Also, I've had this song linked before, but this is a refresher for later in the chapter. You'll know why.

The next day, after Steve and Jessica had packed everything into the moving van and sent it to Manhattan to the Avengers' tower, the woman found herself outside a hospital

Jessica's free hand was curled into a fist, her other being held by Steve, who sensed the anxiety radiating off his wife.

"Are you okay?" He ran his thumb over her knuckles softly.

The redhead hummed lightly, biting her lip before she whispered, "I just don't like hospitals much anymore..."

She trailed off and Steve's chest tightened, knowing what she was speaking of. He nodded and licked his lips, sighing after a moment.

"We don't have to go, if you don't want," He murmured, blue eyes finding her green ones.

Jessica shook her head, saying, "No, it's okay. I'm curious as to why you're taking me here."

"To see an old friend."

She quirked a brow and only nodded, allowing Steve to walk them through the double doors to another hospital in Washington D.C.. After walking up the stair well to the third floor, the couple made their way through the corridor to a reception desk.

Jessica noticed they were on the geriatric floor and gave Steve a confused look, asking, "Steve?"

He gave her a smile before turning to the nurse at the reception desk, the woman with darker skin and jewel tones immediately recognizing him.

"Mr. Rogers," She gave him a kind grin, "How are you today?"

"We're doing okay, Nancy. Is she okay for a visitor?"

Nancy nodded, pulling two guest badges from the console drawer before handing them to Jess and Steve.

"You know the room?"

Steve answered with a shake of his head, "Yes, thank you."

Steve grasped back onto Jess' hand, pulling her through the hall making her say, "Steve, what's going on?"

They stopped in front of a door, Steve looking down to his wife as he said, "She's here. I found her right before I found you. She gave me the grimoire."

A sharp, harsh breath let Jessica as tears clouded her eyes, "Peggy is alive? She's here?"

"She has dementia," Steve whispered, "It doesn't seem too bad, she remembered almost everything when I asked her questions. But, after a moment she forgets the conversation she just had."