Chapter Sixteen ✧ The Future

AN: Jessica's outfit is up top.

Jessica sat beside Steve and the other Howling Commando's in the bunker they had been in two years ago, staring at the wall Colonel Phillips was at

The red headed woman's hand was on Steve's knee as Colonel Phillips said, "Johann Schmidt belongs in the bughouse. He thinks he's a god and he's willing to blow up half the world to prove it. Starting with the U.S.A."

"Schmidt's working with powers beyond our capabilities," A voice told, Jessica turning to see Howard Stark sit beside her, "He gets across the Atlantic, he will wipe out the entire Eastern Seaboard in an hour."

"How much time we got?" Gabe questioned Colonel Phillips. The man shrugged, "According to my new best friend, under twenty-four hours."

Another solider asked, "Where is he now?"

"Hydra's last base is here," He held up a black and white picture, making Jessica narrow her eyes, "In the Alps. Five hundred feet below the surface."

He threw the picture on the table and Mortia, who was closest to it picked it up.

Mortia observed it for a moment before she said, "So what are we supposed to do? I mean, it's not like we can just knock on the front door."

"Why not?" Steve questioned, earning everyone's attention. Jessica smirked as his tone changed and she said, "What're you thinking, hero?"

"That's exactly what we're going to do."

"Sounds fun, I'd like to knock a few men off their asses while we're at it. Anyone else?"

Jessica sighed as the hot water from her shower scolded her back, wrapping her arms around her body.

After hours of preparation and figuring out a plan for the following day, Jessica was mentally exhausted.

The sound of the curtain being pulled back brought her from her thoughts, Jessica looking up to see Steve peaking his head through.

He smiled lightly, "Do you mind if I join you?"

"I'll never stop you, hero," Jessica couldn't help her lips tugging upwards. Steve stepped into the small shower and Jessica moved, allowing him to take in the hot water making him say, "This feels amazing."

"That it does."

Jessica wrapped her arms around his waist from behind, pressing her chest to his back, "Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course," Steve turned around, looking down at her as the water sprayed his back. Jessica sighed, "When this is all over... what're we going to do?"

"What do you mean?"

Jessica licked her lips, shivering a bit as the water from her hair dripped down her back, "When the war is over... when Schmidt is dead? Are we just going to go back to normal?"