Chapter Twenty-Three ✧ Green Eyes

AN: You guys... it's time.

Steve Rogers smiled at the photograph of Peggy Carter and Lorraine, stained with age as the years had gone by

"You know, you could have told me that you two were in love. I feel like an idiot acting as though you two were just friends for so long."

The now ninety-three year old woman hoarsely chuckled, "You never did have a large attention span, Steve."

"I suppose you are right about that," Steve was quiet for a moment, "Jessica knew, didn't she?"

Peggy nodded, giving him a small smile in her hospital bed, "Yes, she did. She figured it out before it even happened."

Steve shook his head, a grin appearing on his lips, "Yes, well, she always did have a way of knowing things were going to happen before they did."

The pair was quiet for a moment before Steve sighed, "You should be proud of yourself, Peggy."

"I have lived a life of love with her," She looked at the picture of her and Lorraine riding horses on a beach, "My only regret is that you and Jessica didn't get to live yours."

Steve pursed his lips and Peggy rose a grey brow, "What is it?"

"For as long as I can remember, I just wanted to do what was right. Without her, Peggy, I guess I'm not quite sure what that is anymore. I thought could throw myself back in and follow orders, gain some sort of similarity. Serve. It's just not the same. Things were so much easier with her in my life, they made sense. None of this does without her."

Peggy grimly nodded, "I do understand that feeling, Steve. When Lorraine got sick ten years ago... I didn't know how to live."

"How'd you do it? Live without your best friend and partner?" Steve's glossed over, "It's been almost three years since I got out of the ice and I still feel like I can't breathe. I look for her in everything, hear her voice and laugh. Sometimes I think I even see her in the corner of my eye."

"Somehow, you just... do. The pain never goes away fully, you just learn to live with it," Peggy explained, putting her hand out for Steve to hold.

The man placed his on hers and nodded, "I don't know what to do anymore."

Peggy let out a long sigh and wet her dry lips, saying, "And I think Jessica knew that the day she left."

Steve furrowed his brow and Peggy continued, pointing with her other finger to the nightstand, "In the drawer. You'll know it when you see it."

The man untangled his hand with Peggy's and opened the drawer, moving several pill bottles before his jaw slacked at the sight of Jessica's grimoire. His hands shook as he picked it up, closing the nightstand before looking back to Peggy.